can you dilate fast

hi i went to the doctor today and she said i was 1cm. dilated my question is that how soon can i dilate from 1cm to 9cm? my husband is so happy that he wants my water to break now.lol

babygirl25283

Asked by babygirl25283 at 7:02 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• depends on how far along you are too...could take hours, days, or even weeks..

i been 2cm for almost 3 weeks now... =[
    MissKellee

Answer by MissKellee at 7:04 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Well thats great you have progress lets see 2weeks ago I was a fingertip this past Thursday I was 2cm....I mean its different for everyone. Whens your DD??
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 7:07 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• It depends. With my first I was completely closed at 37w6d... my baby was born within 20 hours of that appt. With my second, I walked around dilated to 3 cms for over three weeks. It could mean that labour is not far off, but not always. HTH!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 7:07 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• It's a complete guessing game, : / I was 1cm for a week, then went into labor one night after a check up. I was still 1 cm when I went to the hospital, having contractions 5 minutes apart, and dilated to 10 within the next 11 hours.
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 7:09 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Not to burst any bubbles but i was a two from 6 mo on and i was a 5 for 3 weeks now that was with my son...my daughter on the other hand i went from a 1 to having her in just 12 hrs. SO REALLY THERE IS NO ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION!!
    AMBERDAWN2008

Answer by AMBERDAWN2008 at 7:14 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• This time around I am doing no vaginal exams.....they really don't tell you much - either give you false hope or disappointment. Where one woman can be 3cm for a month, another might go into labor at 0cm and be ready to push five hours later.

Your body will tell you when you are in labor and your body will progress as it needs to...to have someone poking around in my vagina to tell me I'm *still* only 4cm after laboring all day - only to feel the urge to push a half an hour later (or worse, suggest that I'm stalling and *need* a c-section) is truly unnecessary and dangerous.

Best to forgo the VEs and let your body work its magic at its own pace!! Good luck!!
    Kid_Coach

Answer by Kid_Coach at 7:15 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• i went fasti was 1cm at my doc app. and was that way for 1 day then on thursday night i went to the hospital and was 4 cm by the time the doc came in ( he went down a flight of staire ) i was having my son. so i went from 4cm to having baby in a matter of mins.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 7:22 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I was 4cm at 36 weeks and induced at just over 39 weeks with my first two pregnancies. Once they broke my water, however, the first was born in 7 1/2 hours (4cm - 10cm and 56 minutes of pushing) the second in 2 1/2 hours (4-10cm and 2 pushes)

With my third I was in labor on my own at 36 weeks. I was 4cm when they broke my water. He was out TWENTY SIX (26) MINUTES later.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:27 PM on Apr. 6, 2009