Pernicious anemia

Has anyone here been diagnosed with pernicious anemia, or severe B-12 deficiency? I was diagnosed about 3 weeks ago and have been on a supplement, but I am still so exhausted. My doctor mentioned I might need B-12 injections. Anyone had this, and did it help!

sariejack

Asked by sariejack at 7:09 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Health

• I have had a B-12 injection just to originally boost my levels, then started an oral supplement. My sister received regular B-12 injections for quite a while. Most of the people in my family have low B-12 levels. And yes it does help with the fatigue. My sister called it her miracle drug. Her levels were much lower than mine. They boosted her energy levels significantly. My original injection did help me out a lot also. Good luck! I feel your pain! Low b-12 with low energy is such a pain!
    Anonymous

• My B-12 count was down around 250 and I have no idea if it is going up! It's good to know that injections might help.
    sariejack

Answer by sariejack at 8:12 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• My doctor thinks I may have this, but I've been too busy to go to the pathology lab to do further testing. My iron blood count was 10.5 the last time I was in his office and I have not been taking my iron very often. I am currently so wiped out during the day that I take naps around 5pm, and then I am still able to go to sleep around 10pm and sleep through the night. Not normal for me - usually if I even take a 5 min nap I'm up until 1am at least.

Thanks for reminding me to see my doctor for a follow-up. That's probably what my problem is and I just need to face it. I've had a B12 shot before and LOVED it! I wish I could get one every week - or even twice a week! It's amazing!
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 9:31 PM on Apr. 6, 2009