money

the question is deleted now but i was wondering, if you are a SAHM, or even a working mom, is your money and your DH's money separate from each other? right now im in school and my husband is the bread winner but his money is our money. if i ever got a job my money would be his and mine and etc. i just think its important, esp for SAHM's to be taken care of by their husbands (if if the dad is a SAHD his wife should take care of him)

i dont really know how the 'grown up' world works though! im still figuring it out!

aliciatron

Asked by aliciatron at 7:14 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

• all the money is our money. im not working at the moment but when i was it was our money then and his has always been our money. we just set aside a certain amount each month that each of us gets to spend with no questions asked. anything beyond that we discuss together
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:04 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• lol i am a SAHM mom and my husbands money is my money.
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 7:18 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• We share our money. Although since I don't actually have to work, all of my money goes into a special savings where we fund Christmas before April, and then any money over that, goes for vacations.

We have a special situation tho, having been both been married before. I got used to having my own money and being frugal as I am, it was tough to not be working regularly and having my own money to spend. He is very giving and said to spend as I need or want, but it has taken me a couple of years to actually do it. :) He knows I'm an excellent saver and shopper, so he's not afraid I'll over spend.

lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 7:38 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• My husband and I have our separate accounts but we set down once a month and figure out what needs to be paid, after that whatever is left is ours to do whatever we want.

lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 7:51 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Me and my fiance decided to put 75 % of our money into a joint account for bills and savings, The othr 25% is our own to do as we please.
    Mythreesons1077

Answer by Mythreesons1077 at 9:09 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Eventually we'd like to have "his" money and "her" money but our budget is so tight we don't even have "our" money yet... (It's all "their" money.) Anyway, if you are making enough to have a little splurge money, I think it's important that both people get a fair amount of that splurge money. Fair meaning- he might get more because his "splurges" cost more than her's or vice versa. If you followed this you are AMAZING!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 9:33 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• We each have seperate and joint accounts but they are all linked together (in case one needs to transfer between them). Nothing hidden which is the most important thing.
    Marianne531

Answer by Marianne531 at 10:03 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I agree with you. My hubby and i started dating at 17 and 18 and 6 months after we were together we opened OUR checking account. At one point I quit my job without having a back up (dumb but i was young, and made it clear to whom i worked for that i would do it if they pissed me off) and he was just my BF at the time and he paid my car payment, car ins, student loans, and rent! and from that point on I knew that he was the one for me...not for the money reasons, but because at a young age he wanted to help take care of me, and knew that i would do the same if it were him. I knew that was a good quality to have in man and he would make a GREAT hubby and father in time. and he does! I was right. He busts his hump for me EVERY day at work so i can stay home with our little girl. So yes, i feel if you are going to be committed then be committed the whole way! Divorse is too easy these days and seprate money makes it easier!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 10:39 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Eventually we'd like to have "his" money and "her" money but our budget is so tight we don't even have "our" money yet... (It's all "their" money.)

That's so funny, I feel the same way...broke on payday. LOL We "own" the business we work for (it's a corp with me listed as the prez) So both of our checks are Direct Dep into the same account.  We negotiate when we have purchases over a certain amount, but for the most part, we just do what we want to. There's not enough of it to screw us up too bad ;)

mmmommy0207

Answer by mmmommy0207 at 3:02 PM on Apr. 7, 2009