• In the Spotlight:

I need some advice from a professional house cleaner!

how much is a going rate for a house cleaner?
Why can you charge by the hour and not by what you accomplish?
What do you like cleaning the most?
What are people bad about keeping clean?
How do you get grease off of your home decor the easiest?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:14 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Home & Garden

• 1. I charged depending on the size of the house & never by the hr & I stayed until it was completly done (whether that took from 8-6 or 8-10 it was always the same price bc the house wasnt bigger maybe just a little messier) Also I charged for basic cleaning & if they wanted extras it cost more i.e. blinds, anything outside, laundry, etc
    2. I wouldnt pay someone hrly bc if they move real slow just to make more $ your getting screwed. Tell them a flat rate & inspect it before they go to make sure they didnt rush through it
    3. Im weird I LOVE cleaning bathrooms. I feel the most accomplished walking into a disgusting bathroom and leaving it sparkling
    4. dusting is something people hardly think to do. Also the laundry room & in the corners of rooms & baseboards
    5. I have no idea on that I used whatever they had in their home since people like the scents & certain products so I usually ended up scrubbing a LOT
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 7:24 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I did clean professionally and it was by the hour and no I didn't take my time because I always had another house to get to next.
    I cleaned from 9 am when people were gone and out of my way, lol, til around 3 or 4 pm when kids started to come home.
    The worst rooms are kitchen and bathroom, and dusting
    Also I wouldn't move furniture, my back and knees come first, why risk it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:27 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I agree with what theheartbaby said. But, as far as the grease thing goes, Depending on what type of grease, I've had great results with clorox wipes all over my kitchen. Like, if I fry some bacon, grease gets in the air and goes everywhere. After I'm done, I clena with clorox wipes. The top of the stove, the top of the fridge, everything and it pretty much just wipes right off.
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 11:27 AM on Apr. 7, 2009