What can I do about my baby who cries if he's not being held?????

My in-laws came for a visit, that's lasted 3 weeks! My son is only 5 weeks old, and all they wanted to do was hold him! Everytime he cired, even for a second, they are right there, grabbing him up and now... because he was NOT like this for the 2 weeks before they arrived... he doesn't want to be laid down at all!! He cries until he's so upset that he's sweating and it's horrible!! What can I do to fix this?!?!

KeelinsMommy

Asked by KeelinsMommy at 7:19 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• hold him :) it's okay! Chances are he would have became more needy over the course of his first few weeks whether your in-laws held him all the time or not. I would recommend buying a sling or any type of baby-carrier, that way you can hold him AND get things done. Babies need to be held quite a bit for the first few months of their lives. It helps them build confidence and trust in people.
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 12:27 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Try swaddling him so he feels like he's being held. Also start to put him down to sleep when he's not asleep but drowsy. This will help him learn to self soothe.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 7:21 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• i agree put your baby down when he's really sleepy, that will also help him learn how to put himself to sleep, which will help you out in the long run. i started this at 4 weeks and my dd still puts herself to sleep, 8months later
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 7:24 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Start small and work up.
    (1) Get a baby carrier so you can hold him and still do things.
    (2) Set him down a lot during the day. Encourage lots of tummy time. Get down on the floor facing him to help keep him interested. Let him stay there and fuss for a few mintues before you pick him up. Note - that's FUSS, not SCREAM.
    (3) Once he has good head and upper body control, get him an exersaucer.

Overtime, he will readjust. But it will take time, possibly months. Just let him fuss a little each time.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:27 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Get a sling! Babies are designed to be carried.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:00 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• and its ok for them to cry sometimes to.
    achylegs

Answer by achylegs at 8:24 PM on Apr. 6, 2009