How can I motivate my child?

She is 13 now. This has been going on for a long time. She has chores to do. Very simple ones too. (I have read some of the other moms lists) I can not get her to do any thing. I have taken away everything. As I was packing up her toys 2 years ago she said " Its ok mom I dont play with thoes toys anyway." I was so angry. So for 2 years she has only had a lamp in her room? Help!

dizzydez

Asked by dizzydez at 7:20 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• When she asks you to take her somewhere don't, if she wants money for something say no. Alternatively let her earn her stuff back by doing her chores.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 8:05 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• and if that dont work take her door away 13 year old girls don't like losing there door.
    achylegs

Answer by achylegs at 8:22 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• My daughter is 14 & the same way. Whatever I take from her, she says she doesn't care. But, I figured out that with some things, she is lying. Her door is a great thing to her. And phone privileges. So there are things she does care about, even if she acts like she doesn't. But if your daughter truly doesn't care about anything, get her to the doctor as she might be depressed.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 10:11 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I had the same problem with my now 15 son. He didn't care what was taken away. I started a new plan and told him he now has a job just like mom & dad, you do something and you get something. If your boss asks you to do a job and you dont do it you dont get a pay check or you loose your job. So every day he has chores and schoolwork to do, rather than nagging him to do them, we discuss the night before what they are for the next day and give him a time to get them done. I dont say a word to him all day about them, when the time comes if they are not completed, he looses everything for the evening and the following day. His grades have went up and no more nagging or arguing its working great. Good luck!
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 3:04 PM on Apr. 9, 2009