Is it okay to drink protein shakes while breastfeeding?

I'm breastfeeding my 5 month old, and I was looking for a way to boost my calorie intake. Would protein shakes be an effective way to get more nourishment, and in turn a better milk supply?

carastacey

Asked by carastacey at 7:22 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't see how it could hurt!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:25 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• No. Unused protein turns directly into fat  ( on your body) not more calories. Breastmilk is naturally low in calories. Just eat the recommended amount of calories.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 7:26 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Supplementing with protein shakes would be a great way to take in extra calories. How would unused protein turn into fat- that makes NO sense.
    Anonymous

• Protein shakes are for people that are wanting to build muscle. When you are not using those muscles, it turns directly into fat. Makes perfect sense if you know anything about the human body.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 7:35 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Protein shakes are fine. Extra liquid is crucial for maintaining a good supply.
    Anonymous

• You're better off with oatmeal. Protein shakes will help some, but if you have any problem with weight, you probably want to avoid them. If you're like me (underweight), they're perfect. But oatmeal will increase your supply much better. Oats increase milk supply, I feed them to my goat to increase her supply, too.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 7:52 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• For YOU...it's fine. Won't do much for baby.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:55 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I have never, in my whole life, heard about protein shakes turning into fat. Please! I am vegetarian, and sometimes I struggle to get my protein quota in, and end up feeling sluggish. So I have protein shakes in between meals to keep myself going. Unless someone was so gung-ho about downing a protein shake after another without lifting a finger all day, I could see a problem there. Anyway... back to the point, I don't see how a protein shake would be harmful. It might help -you- more than the baby, though. ANd is a good meal replacement sometimes. They do make those mommy shakes for breastfeeding moms. I think it's by ensure? My pharmacy carries those. Expensive, though. Your baby is getting all of the calories s/he needs from your body. You're the one who ends up suffering if you don't eat enough. Give the shake idea a shot. You might like it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Apr. 7, 2009