Depression...

So I was talking to my doctor about it...and she put me on Anti-depressants...in the info that they gave me it said DO NOT TAKE IF BREAST FEEDING. Being that im breast feeding I havent taking any. My doctor said it would be ok...cause no mattter what I take some of it is going to go to my daughter. Would you still risk it and take!?!?

Amanduh87

Asked by Amanduh87 at 7:24 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no,,how bad is ur depression..if its bad i would take a few doses and see if it efects either of u
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 7:30 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Just don't take them if you get pregnant again..I read some of them can cause holes in babies hearts and other bad side effects.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 7:41 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I can't believe your doctor would do that! I would insist on a different med!
    Anonymous

• Virtually all medications say on the package DO NOT TAKE WHILE BREASTFEEDING to protect the company from liability. Which antidepressant did he prescribe? Zoloft is usually the one of choice for breastfeeding moms because there is lots of research on it and very little gets into the milk. There is some good info on antidepressants in the article "But Is It Safe for My Baby? Medications and Breastfeeding" at http://www.mothering.com/articles/new_baby/breastfeeding/medications-breastfeeding.html

You can have someone look up your medication in MEDICATIONS AND MOTHER'S MILK by Dr. Hale in the group http://www.cafemom.com/group/mothersmilk
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:35 PM on Apr. 6, 2009