Breastfeeding Question!!!! Help Please!!

When my son was born, he didn't want to wake up to nurse, so the ped. told me to suppliment formula for a while, because he wasn't eating that well. Anyhow, so now we still suppliment because he's used to it, and he sleeps better at night after having a bottle of formula. HOWEVER, I was mostly breastfeeding . THEN... when he was 2 weeks old, my in-laws came for a visit. They were staying 3 weeks (they finally leave tomorrow). I started having problems... sore, cracked nipples, even bleeding!! I saw a LC, found out some things I was doing wrong, but it seems that the cracks and soreness just keeps coming back.. But then I wondered... could the fact that I have my in-laws basically living with me, invading my life, upsetting our schedules and such, have anything to do with the fact that I can't seem to get him to latch good, and make the pain go away!?!?! PLEASE... WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS!!!!!!!????????

KeelinsMommy

Asked by KeelinsMommy at 7:25 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• take him where he sleeps and nurse him there.if u have to cup ur breast to form a cone while he is sucking.i always feed my little one in the bedroom.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 7:29 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Hmm..nipples naturally go through a "breaking down" process and some even bleed during this process. If you are supplementing it's possible that since you aren't breastfeeding with every bottle that your nipples are continuing to go through this "break down" stage. Use lanolin for nursing mothers it helps with dry, cracked nipples. Also an Lc can give you gel ice nipple packs for sore nipples.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 7:30 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I think you are right. Maybe until the in-laws leave you can try your bst to find a quiet corner to breastfeed in. Things should settle down after they go.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 7:30 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I would say YES, breastfeeding especially at first, takes not only a lot of practice but patients and quite alone time to concentrate. I will say that I think your Ped was wrong I would have never started supplementing, for some reason they tend to be big on that, I was told to do the same with my son however I flat out refused, and he did great without ever giving him formula, but since you already have I would say just stick with whatever works for you, and see if things change after your in laws leave, also there is a great breastfeeding group on here that is VERY helpful so check it out, its called Breastfeeding moms GL and I hope things get better for you!

hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 7:34 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• More likely that the bottles have taught him an incorrect latching technique. Your doc oughta be horsewhipped...led you absolutely wrong.

Soothies and lansinoh will help you. And consider getting baby only on the breast. The formula's not what's making him sleep...he's sleeping because he's sleepy! (And expect that to change in any event.)

Answer by gdiamante at 7:54 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• has your baby ever had thrush ( yeast infection of the mouth, common in babies) Because if the baby has and the doctors only treat him and not you. You can pass it back and forth and it can be very painful. You have to get a antibiotic cream to put on your nipples if that is the case. Hope that helps.
    achylegs

Answer by achylegs at 8:05 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I would buy some nipples shields to help your nipples. I had extremely sore and cracked nipples and wore those and it helped TONS! I also think the fact that the in laws are gone will help tremendously. During the first few weeks of nursing you should be comfortable while getting to know you and your baby's ways. Hell, I was topless the whole time just so I got used to it. hahahaha Having the in laws might have made you feel uncomfortable and threw you off. I don't really know your situation with your family. But I think that your feeding will improve now that you're alone with your new little family. You have your own space to practice and not have others breathing down your neck and telling you what to do.

Just keep practicing and your baby and you will learn. Just don't give up! Good luck!
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 10:05 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• yes. when ur stressed, so is the baby. he can feel ur energy as crazy as i sound lol. the more relaxed u are, the easier it is. i used 2 get so worked up when ppl came 2 visit because i felt the need to rush and b there w/ the company so they could see the baby etc etc. anyways i learned the hard way to just take it slow and relax. try drinking a glass of water right before as well.
    princess021

Answer by princess021 at 10:30 PM on Apr. 6, 2009