rest of the question under general parenting

Hi,

Thank you for your answer. My husband and I separated about 9 months ago. We still talk and are going to see if we can work things out. When we split up I had to put my children in a safe environment. My mother in law said she would watch them for 6 months. That time is coming up on May 7th. It was the hardest thing for me to do because she has been doing this to me for years, and to ask if she would voluntarily was the worst decision I have ever made. Now she wants them forever. I moved to Montana to with my mom to see if I could get things straight, but when I got here things did not go according to plan. She and I don't get along when we live together and she is on my mother-in-laws side. DCF was investigating me but they did not find any reason why my children should not be with me. So, herein lies my problem......

nsmelt

Asked by nsmelt at 7:33 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Relationships

• so she has had custody of your children for the last 6 months?
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 8:15 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• yes she has had custody for 6 months

Anonymous

• Go get your children if you want them. She can't keep them.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:37 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• get them NOW... or else she can try and claim you abandoned them
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:08 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• It's my understanding that I can not get them until the 6 months is up on May 7th???
    nsmelt

Answer by nsmelt at 9:25 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• did you sign over custody. Is there a court order in place or did you just drop the kids off over there?
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:39 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I went in front of a judge, signed affidavit and consent for 6 monts.
    nsmelt

Answer by nsmelt at 9:47 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• ok then you have to wait. What was your reasoning for giving your MIL custody? I mean if it was financial hardship- are you doing better financially? You will have to prove that the reasons that you gave your children over for temp custody are no longer reasons KWIM? Or else it might be a huge fight on your hands.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 10:07 PM on Apr. 6, 2009