any tips or advice on potty training...

My daughter is 2 years old.. we have got her the same potty chair for all the sitter's house adn our home. She has went on the potty after bath time and was wanting to sit on it a lot at first. it seems now we have just been stuck and not been able to get her to use it more or to understand that when she has to go to go to the potty.. any advice or tips>

rachaelcc

Asked by rachaelcc at 7:35 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Remember that once the initial excitement rubs off, kids quickly learn that playing - even while jumping from foot to foot to keep from peeing their pants - is more fun than putting down the toys and going to the bathroom. Do not expect her to answer "yes" if you ask and do not expect her to just go when she needs to. Toys and play will win every time. Help her be a big kid success by keeping track for her and TELLING her it it time to go.
    And remember that night time dryness has NOTHING to do with day time training. No amount of day time practice, no amount of lectures or punishments, no amount of bribes or treats will change what her body does on it's own while she is sound asleep. Some kids self train at the same time they potty train, some don't for YEARS, and some end up needing medical intervention. Be patient and don't do anything about night time until she has been full day trained for at least 6 months.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:45 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• i used stickers with my daughter, every time she went potty I would give her a sticker to put on her potty. You also need to remind her to go every couple of hours. For night time I would get her up before I went to bed ( she would still be sleeping half the time ) and pot her on the potty then I would put her back in bed.
    achylegs

Answer by achylegs at 7:58 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• With my first two (boy trained at 2years 4 months and girl trained at 19 months) I just told them you are going to wear panties/underpants now and then never went back to diapers. They had lots of accidents the first day, less the second day . . . by the fourth day I started going places with confidence. For my daughter I had to tell her "time to go pee pee" every 3 hours or she would have an accident. My older boy would do the pee-pee dance and I knew he had to go. At nap time and at night I used pull ups which they had never seen before so they knew this was not a diaper but sleeping underpants. My son had nap accidents until he was 3 and night time accidents until he was about 5 and a half. I am getting ready to train my 3rd who is now 18months old

For me the key is NEVER going back to diapers.
    Anonymous