Hey what do you put in your fish tank to keep it crystal clear?

diamondmamma

Asked by diamondmamma at 7:43 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Pets

• get a bottom feeder like an algae eater or something like that, they help keep the funk out
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 7:57 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I use a product called Cycle. It helps keep the water healthy which keeps the tank cleaner longer.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 7:44 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• nothing. I just do partial changes every month. and full water changes every three months.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 7:48 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• We used to add something with every water change because we had goldfish (lots of amonia with those guys). If it's been awhile since you changed the water, maybe now is a good time to do that.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:50 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I just got the tank and fish yesterday. Just wanted to know what you guys use to give it that pretty crystal look
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 7:56 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Whenever we changed our water, we'd fill up a large pitcher (we had a small tank) and let the water sit overnight to evaporate the chemicals. Then we'd use it and it would be clear :)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:04 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• you can buy a polisher or polishing pad for some filters but I'm sure there is some type of liquid that you can put in there
    jen.ritterbel

Answer by jen.ritterbel at 9:12 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Make sure that your tank isn't in direct sun light, this helps keep your tank cleaner. Having a tank in direct sun light can cause the sides of the tanks to turn green. I was also told that feeding your fish too much, can cause the tank to become cloudy!
    Get some bottom feeders, this will help keep the "yuck" of the bottom of the tank ("yuck" will eventually cause cloudy water). I've had my fish tank for almost 2 yrs and I've never had cloudy water and I haven't cleaned the tank since I've gotten it. I just coninue to add more water when it gets low. I only feed my fish every 3 days. Fish will eat a lot of the "stuff" in the tank and don't have to be fed daily!
    Anonymous

• I've got an expensive filter, and use StartRite to take the chlorine and suds out of the tap water. Same as ReneeK3 here, I never change out the water. I've got 18 little fish in there, and 2 are plecostlemus. (The brown/black sucker fish.) You can put in one of those, or a couple algae eaters, and the water should stay fine.

When I'm ready to change the filter, (bout every 2 or 3 months) I stir up the poo left on the bottom with the net, and maneuver the filter about to suck it up. They also sell little "poo vaccuums" that are just like syphering hoses, and do a pretty good job. However, I started my tank as a college kid needing something to take care of at home because I couldn't have "pets"... so I went as cheap as possible. Still haven't had to change the water...
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 10:33 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• If it's a freshwater tank getting some aquarium salt will help to keep it clear. I know that sounds strange, but the salt is specifically designed for freshwater tanks. It helps keep mine clear.
    Tigress0717

Answer by Tigress0717 at 10:36 PM on Apr. 6, 2009