My 3 yo daughter fed her chicken leg to the dog - is there anything I can do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:46 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Pets

• as long as the dog didnt choke on it, its ok as far as i know. you should call the vet just to make sure
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 7:47 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• scary! I would try to make the dog throw up...or go to the vet ASAP. chicken bones split in their stomachs and tear up their insides. that's not good. =( i hope you get it out safely
    LoniRae89

Answer by LoniRae89 at 7:49 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Just watch the dog and if he shows any abnormal behavior take him to the vet. I remember one year my dog jumped on the table and got hold of a whole chicken while we were in the other room. He ate the entire chicken, bones and all. He didnt show any abnormal behavior, not even blood in his stools.
    Anonymous

• The main problem with chicken is the bones tend to spilter easly and choke the dog. As long as your dog didn't choke things should be fine.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 7:49 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• You mean about the dog eating chicken bones? Just watch him/her. The dog stomach really is amazing. The bones are brittle from cooking, and chances are, if it gets down the throat successfully into the belly, it will break apart well enough to come out. You may find blood in his poop, and if that's the case, there are a few pieces stuck in the lower intestine, that the doctor can "scoop" out with his finger. Just watch him.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:49 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• not be so dramatic lol. Yes, making a habit out of feeding dogs this type of food (cooked bones/scraps), is not good at all. But one chicken leg...I don't think your pups health is in jeopardy.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 7:50 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I can tell you from experience, our pup has gotten many a chicken bone from an unsupervised kids plate LOL He's a year now. You can call your vet just to make sure, but I'm sure your pooch will be fine. :)
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 7:54 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I agree with CinderAmethyst ^^   My dogs have consumed their fare share of chicken bones from my toddler and we have never had a problem with them digesting the bones. We don't purposely give them to our dogs, but they have had them before. I think your dog will be fine!

bookay

Answer by bookay at 10:23 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• My parents always throw scraps to their dogs. No, not the healthiest thing for them, I'm sure, but when they're out there chewing on that dead possum they drug home from down the road, I don't think one little chicken leg is going to hurt...

Just keep an eye on him/her, dog should be just fine! : )
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 10:27 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Dont make the dog throw up!! it could cut her esophagus on the way back up! You need to watch her poops for the next few days for blood or anything out of the ordinary....If you notice him being uncomfortable then you NEED to take him to the vet.
    WOW it looks like everyone needs to be a little more careful with what their dogs get. One day you might not be so lucky...Im glad my dogs are trained to sit in their beds and wait for us to be done eating...
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:33 PM on Apr. 6, 2009