Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please help me

I need some serious help!my mother in law is taking me to court for full custody of my kids.No, I have never been deemed an unfit mother. She has been doing this to me for years.They're precious, who wouldn't want them is the only reason I can think of why she is doing this to me. And has been doing this to me. I'm tired of fighting her, can't I just be the mother without her always being there trying to defeat me? What do I do? I can't give up! But what will happen in court? Please help, I'm so scared.I need some advice on how to win this thing. I don't have the money for a lawyer. I love my girls more than life itself!!!!!! Please someone, if you know of any lawyers who can help me.I don't know, just someone please help! My husband and I separated about 9 months ago. We still talk and are going tosee if we can work things out.DCF was invloved but found no reason to take my children. So herin lies my problem. What do I do??

Answer Question

Asked by nsmelt at 7:52 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • I think you should just try your best to show what a good mother you are and show how much you care for your children.

    Answer by jamesmommy12 at 7:55 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

  • If there is no reason that she can take her kids, then i wouldnt worry because she would just lose..

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

  • typo sorry. I meant If there is no reason for her to take your kids is what i meant.. then i wouldn't worry because she would lose..

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

  • Please please please contact your local legal aid society. DO NOT GO THIS ALONE if you want to keep your kids.

    Answer by gdiamante at 7:57 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

  • If dcf couldnt come up with a case neither will the courts. you stand up for yourself to her. your the mother not her.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:01 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

  • go to legal aid. If you left hubby over abuse then go to a domestic violence shelter's lawyer. I have gone to court without a lawyer before and the Judge acted as my lawyer to protect my rights. If there if no evidence to support you harming the children then she has no leg to stand on unless you don't have a home and income to take care of them.

    Answer by admckenzie at 8:40 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

  • dress nice, dont stress if you have never had csb over. if she doesnt currently take care of them all the time, if you live on your own and care for them, she has no chance...

    Answer by AmaliaD at 9:31 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

  • I've never been there, but in addition to getting legal help as suggested... keep your composure. Breath deep, hold your head up, remain serious, focus, concentrated, look people in the eye. Breath deep and speak clear, calmly, slowly, convincinly ..... No matter how scared you may be on the inside, have confidence!!

    Answer by PhillyinFrance at 4:53 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.