Has anyone had side effects after their child got vaccinated?

My son is rapidly approaching 4 months old which means he'll receive more vaccinations at his next appointment. I wasn't at all prepared at his 2 month checkup for him to receive them, so he did. I brought home a completely different child. He was so tired, cranky, fussy, and hot. He took on a completely different temperment.
My husband and I are concerned about giving him the follow up vaccines. We definitely will not give him anything with mercury or thimerosol as we feel that it could hinder his neurological development. We have researched the topic, but have found the information to be severely biased in both directions.
Any websites, advice, or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

rebecalyn7

Asked by rebecalyn7 at 7:57 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'd take into account the things they're vaccinating for. Look up some statistics....how common is it? Is it fatal? Can it be treated successfully if contracted? Side effects from vaccine?

http://vaers.hhs.gov/

ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:00 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• My son got a little cranky a few days after his first set of shots but that was it and it never happened again. Every child I know has been vaccinated and not one of them had so much as a fever. But I do believe each parent should do their own research and make the best decision for their child. So kudos to you for doing that.
    Anonymous

• my kids all got tired, fussy, cranky, sore, etc for a couple days, but then they were fine.

No one had lasting effects.

I am a 'delayed vaxxer'. more of a 'cautious'I guess. my kids had all their childhood vax ('cept Chix Pox)
    But I never did more than 1-2 at a time and never ever when they had the slightest cough or runny nose - which means they were a few months behind usually- but there was no way I was going to vacinate a child with an already supressed immune system
    and I didn't take them out of the house for a few days after the vaccines.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 8:04 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Keep in mind they can be given at any time but once you give them, you cant take it back. Take your time and do your research and deny any vaxes until you feel more comfortable.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 8:11 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• My son was tired after the 2 month shots but after 4 and 6 months he was fine. He wasn't cranky, he slept like usual. We did give him Tylenol every 4 hours the first day though, so that i'm sure helped a lot.
    Anonymous

• My kids were tired, but their Dr. gave me Tylenol to give them before the shots. They were a little sore, DS ran a low temp for about 36 hours. But other than that, nope.
    medicmomof2

Answer by medicmomof2 at 8:25 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Maybe tired but that's it with all 3 of mine. You can space them out if you want.

Anonymous

• we don't vaccinate.. not trying to start anything, but look up the ingredients and think really hard about the experiecnce you've already had with the vaxing and seriously weigh your options.
    mamaof2748

Answer by mamaof2748 at 9:14 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I did a good job of spacing them out a bit (especially the big set at one year) with my first child and he did not have ny reactions. With my 2nd I wasn't as careful and he did have a reaction when he got a bunch together at a year, he got a rash and a fever, but no long tern effects. "The Vaccine Book: Making the Right Decision for Your Child" by Robert Sears has some good alternative schedules and a balanced approach to looking at the pros and cons of if when and how to vaccinate.
    You can read an article by Dr. Robert Sears on the subject, with lots of the info from his book at http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJanFeb08p4.html
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:28 PM on Apr. 6, 2009