How much should I be feeding my 5 month old?

I started feeding him gerber 1st foods at 4 months old. And he loves it. He's now 5 months old I need to know how much formula he should be eating and how much baby food also. And when should I start him on gerber 2nd foods?

newmom10408

Asked by newmom10408 at 8:15 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• From what I have been told as long as he's eating 32 oz you can give him more food, but the formula is still very important -- more so than the solids. As for 2nd foods, I have heard that once they can sit up unaided they can start on 2nd foods, however, I'm not sure how true that is.
    Anonymous

• Check with your Dr. I was told to give my kids food at a month and they did great. As long as he is getting the 32 oz of formula I would say he can eat as much as he wants. You can start the Stage 2 foods, its just a texture thing. Sometimes they are even easier to feed because they stay on the spoon.
    medicmomof2

Answer by medicmomof2 at 8:28 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Your child needs 2.5 oz of formula per pound of body weight. You can start stage 2 foods any time they are just thicker and come with more than one flavor per container as well as in larger containers. My DD has never taken 32 oz in a day and probably won't before she is a year old. She is 9 mos and we are lucky if she gets in 20 oz of formula. But my LO is on the petite side. She also eats a TON of food.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:56 PM on Apr. 6, 2009