How to get my 1 year old to eat?

I cannot seem to get my 1 year old to eat by himself. He always wants to be fed. He doesn't like the feel of food or something, I'm not sure what to do. Is it too soon for him to eat by himself?

kimmy73

Asked by kimmy73 at 8:18 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• find something he likes he will eat it. LIke if he likes say pp&j's it has all the nutrents for a while he can eat all he wants. Try smaller portion meals. Like 5 meals instead of 3.
    Also if your worried about weight or nutrents try and see if your doc will presrcube you pedisure. it has helped my boys i wish you luck
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 8:19 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• are you giving him a spoon and fork? if so, keep feeding him. my 2 year old is just learning to feed himself but he has developmental delays so im not sure at what age he should be feeding himself. wish i could be of more help
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 8:20 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• oh my boys been feeding themselfs since about 12-13 months. let him eat some him self then spoon feed him the rest. This also helps
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 8:29 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• With my little boy, around 8 months he was eating cereal or applesauce. He hated the cereal. But I shoved a few spoonfuls in whenever I could. Applesauce he eats alright. If you're ready to start feeding him more solid food, start off with something like cheerios. They dissolve, so the LO is less likely to choke on them, and they're easy finger food. My son is 18 months now, and still plays more with his food than he eats, but he'll eat bread, spaghetti with sauce, and deli meat (I break it into little chunks and he gobbles it down) without a problem. We just conquered pickles. Douglas's favorite thing when he was about a year old was oranges. I pealed the skin off of each slice and let him have one or two to eat. That gave him the runs though, so limit it.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:30 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Oh, and if your issue is more that he just won't feed himself, try to get other people to eat in front of him, or other children. He'll want to be like them. Kids mimic other kids best, and he will eventually decide he doesn't want to be left behind.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:31 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• My daughter is 11 mths and she has been feeding herself for about a month. I would say try giving things he is bound to like first. Cut up banana (maybe dusted in cheerios so it is easier for him to grab), plain cheerios, beans are also great, cut up grilled cheese is one of her favs too.
    Courtney82

Answer by Courtney82 at 6:36 AM on Apr. 7, 2009