I don't know where to put this. I hope someone can help me

First Dh got laid off from work in Nov. Granted we are getting unemployment but it's not as much as his pay check. Today we found out our mortage went up almost 2 hundred dollars. On top of that 6 yr DS has a learning disability and we just found out he will be held back in the first grade. We have had him tested and he has ADHD prominantly inattentive type as well as a language disorder. This test was done almost a year ago and the school has only provided speech therapy which we see no improvement. The school tells us DS has a medical condition and there is nothing they can do for him. What the hell! I feel lost and alone. I don't know what to do about the mortage and I don't know what to do about my son. Please any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:33 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• Call country wide and try to get help. They are still learning the ins and out from the new stimulus but just call.

Anonymous

• For your mortgage, could you try refinancing? Interest rates are really low right now. My neighbor refinanced last week, got a 30 year mortgage and their interest rate is below 5%. For the school stuff, I'd be on them like flies on poo. The squeaky wheel gets oiled, so crawl up their butts until you find something that works for your son...and don't let them settle on "he has a medical condition" and push him aside. But right now, right this second, take a deep breath and know you'll get thru this.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 8:41 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Call your bank about the mortgage! Most banks are helping their home owners out right now. Be persistant.
    goddessmonica

Answer by goddessmonica at 9:32 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Talk to the pediatrician about the medical condition, unless it was the school psychiatrist/psychologist they cannot diagnose anything. BY LAW they have to help every child even if that is giving you information and resources for outside help or another school that can help your son. Stay on them about it, they cannot just give up on a 6 year old.
    And call the mortgage company and ask what they can do to help you.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:45 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Absoulutey call your bank and talk to them.....keeping them informed will work to your benefit. Momjoy1027's suggestion is good...see if you can refinance.

I don't know what state you are in, but have you filled out a 504 form or an IEP for your child? It is the principal's responsibility to make sure your child has every opportunity. If he/she is unresponsive, go to the county. You are your child's only advocate....be persistant. I don't think that it is a bad thing to repeat the first grade. Better now than later...I wish we had held my daughter back. If you want more info on the 504 or IEP, let me know.

Don't panic and don't give up. It make take some time to find the right person in your school or county......but once you do, it will be worth it.
    listen2themommy

Answer by listen2themommy at 9:46 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• The worst thing you can do is nothing. Talk to your bank and let them know what is going on. If you have an adjustable rate mortgage try to refinance and get rid of it, they are nothing but trouble. You can file for chapter 13 bankruptcy and that will keep them from taking your home, so keep that in mind if it gets really bad. As far as your son is concerned, you are his mom so keep asking questions, keep fighting for him. Does he have an IEP? Demand one. Just keep fighting and eventually you will come across the person who can help you both. Depending on what state you are in you may be able to file for SSI benefits because he may be considered disabled.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:48 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• For your ds, is he on an IEP? My dd is also 6 and in 1st grade and struggling a lot. It's taken since November, but we are finally in the last stages of getting her and IEP. The school nurse showed me her report that she's giving the evaluation team and she said she will push the fact that dd does much better with one on one situations in the classroom. If she gets this our school will make sure she has a special ed teacher that spends time in the classroom with her to help her progress. I'm lucky, the teacher and eval team have been the ones to recommend this. The school nurse also told me that she thinks follow up with out pediatrician would help rule our other neurological problems so we are going to try that. I would push for an IEP if he doesn't have one. If what the school's doing now is their idea of an IEP then keep pushing for something better.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:45 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• As far as the mortgage, call your bank and talk to them. If you don't get someone who will be nice and work with you then hang up and call back and talk to someone else. That's what we did. I was so upset about our mortgage and they told us they couldn't help us. Then we called back and someone nice helped us and told us what our options would be. If that doesn't work look into other refinancing options at different places. Keep your chin up, I've been there recently and I know how stressful it is. Things finally turned around for us a little, and I'm sure they will for you as well. Just hang in there.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:49 PM on Apr. 6, 2009