Do you teach your child never to sit on a public toilet?

My mom stressed that to my sister and I all the time when we were growing up and I do the same to my daughter.

diamondmamma

Asked by diamondmamma at 8:37 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• diamondmamma.....you mean "anti-bacterial" soap.....lol you wouldn't want to use a bacterial-laden soap, would you! hehehe.....also, know that using too much anti-bacterial soap actually strips away not just the bad germs, but good ones, thus leaving you more susceptible to germs!!! use in moderation, or when really necessary ( ex. in public bathrooms)!!!!
    To answer the ?: heck no I would never let my kid touch the public toilet seats!!! gross..... and fyi to the pp who thinks they're not really that germy.....look up the studies that show otherwise!!! Actually, they've found women's bathrooms were filthier (germ-wise) than mens....and the SINKS filthier than the toilet seats! wth! yuck!!!!
    Anonymous

• If you clean it well before you use and use a sanitary cover then it is okay. I do that and haven't caught anything from a toilet before. If you hover it is not good for your bladder and you can get infections.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:40 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I have boys I teach them not to touch the toliet at all. Just pee who cares if it gets on the seat. and don't flush either. always wash hands and use a towel to open the door. I have a daughter but she is only 8 mos old and I don't use those dirty diapers either. I change her in her stoller, laid back.
    three-for-now

Answer by three-for-now at 8:41 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I don't believe public toilet seats are as "germy" as people think. I'm not scared to sit my behind on a public toilet...unless it's wet of course. I think washing your hands afterwards is a must but you should do that numerous times through out the day anyway considering all the crap we touch.
    vnw1405

Answer by vnw1405 at 8:50 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• laughingMy boys know I hate public restrooms with a passion! Luckily, they stand. But it is not beneath me to have them pee in an empty water bottle (when the little one was an infant; the thought of me, a toddler and infant in a public restroom almost made me drive off the road!) or a big a** cup... Oops! That was me! I told you I hate them... LOL!

jonosmama

Answer by jonosmama at 8:57 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I try to get my daughter to use the seat covers, but she doesn't always do it. Even with those, she uses her hands to support herself on the toilet. I just can't think about it. Of course we always wash hands REALLY well and don't touch the door handle afterwards. She's fine, I'm fine...
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 9:07 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Use sanitizer guys...that soap in those restrooms are cheap and not bacterial soap!!!
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 9:08 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• My mom did the same thing w/ me. She always told me to squat or line the seat w/ toilet paper. lol. When I went away to college, she bought me a pack of Charmin toilet seat covers.

I have a son, so he'll be standing up. I'll let daddy teach him that.
    paige8608

Answer by paige8608 at 9:10 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• ANON 9:53 ...LOL...YOU KNOW WHAT I MEANT..SMARTY PANTS...LMAO...SHOW YOUR FACE!!! I WANT TO THANK YOU PERSONALLY...; }}
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 11:04 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Ughhhhhhhhh, yes!! I do not us epublic toilets because I walked into too many that have had pee all over them or they havent been flushed.........now you KNOW that is too nasty!! lol
    loving_mom7

Answer by loving_mom7 at 11:19 PM on Apr. 6, 2009