LIL J ATE ALL HIS PEAS AND RICE!!! MOMS DO YOU REWARD YOUR PICKY EATERS?

diamondmamma

Asked by diamondmamma at 8:39 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• I use to act shocked when my picky eater would finally eat something, then I would dare him to do it again and it became a contest. After a while he would just eat it.

The first one wouldn't eat meat and ate a lot of veggies, noodles, and fish. He's 11 years old now and is a self proclaimed Vegetarian. My littlest one east MEAT MEAT MEAT and it's hard to get him to eat veggies at all, sometimes I'll eat them in his face like snacks and he'll try to eat them from me and when he does I go "OMG isn't that good? Yum!!" Sometimes he'll finish eating it and sometimes he will spit it out. But I don't force him, I'll wait until he's like 5 and give him a choice of eating or going to bed hungry. He'll eat once he's hungry enough LOL.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 10:57 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I think that I would reward if he ate something that he says he doesn't want to eat. I don't have a picky eater so I am not quite sure what we would do.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:41 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I don't. The few times I have praised my daughter for eating something, she has immediately told me it was yucky and refused any more. This includes chocolate pudding!

And I firmly belived that linking a "yummy" food like a dessert to eating anything else is a bad idea. It simply reinforces that the first food is SOOOOO bad that you have to be brided to eat it. If the family is having a dessert (a rare treat) then everyone gets some no matter what or how much was eaten at dinner.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:42 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Well he's very picky. I cooked some hamhocks with it so I guess it gave it some flavor but boooy was I happy.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 8:42 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• my girl is a very picky eater. i definitely dont reward her every time she finishes her food, since that's not how its going to go when she goes to school. but, once in a while, i give the incentive beforehand ("if you eat all your chicken and corn, you can have a popsicle"). she appreciates the snack and knows she got it for eating well, but she also knows not to expect a treat every time. not to mention, if she doesnt finish up her dinner, she doesn't get the reward.... that makes her want to try harder next time.
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 8:58 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• mine isnt picky at all. lucky me... but i was... i have no issue with reward for eating, i do not think you can punish for Not eating but rewards are fine!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:32 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I don't like to associate it food that way. They will just continue to feel that they just eat the "icky" food to get the "good stuff" I am ok with praise though. I try not to make too much of a fuss over cleaning their plates either because i want them to trust their bodies and not develop eating issues by feeling the need to finish it all even if no longer hungry. Our big thin is that they keep trying stuff. We thank them and tell them we are proud of them for trying a new food/a food they didn't like again.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 10:52 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• No, I don't reward for eating food and I don't punish or force when they don't want to eat. I don't make my son clean his plate either. He eats when he is hungry and stops when he is full. Food should never be used as a punishment or reward, that can lead to eating disorders later in life.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:56 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• No I don't. My son has always been a picky picky eater. he is now 5. I tried rewarding him, encouraging him ect, but that got old. he began to expect it all the time istead of just learning to eat he learned to NOT eat unless you made a big fuss. I use to cater to everybodies food wants, and make everybody whatever they favored. We now have a rule in the house: Mommy cooks, you eat it, if you don't you go hungry. Because this is not burger king and you don't get it your way.
    puddleybug

Answer by puddleybug at 12:07 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• If it was a battle getting him to eat his food, even a few bites, maybe you could consider a non-food reward like 15 minutes of Spongebob? But if he polished his plate off without a protest... I'd give him verbal positive reinforement.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Apr. 7, 2009