baby has a fever but no other symptoms - what could it be?

my 16 month old had a slight fever all day and at night he had a 101.4 (gave motrin) and was not himself - weak, not interested in playing, very warm to the touch, but pooping/peeing normal so far. if it's not an ear infection what else could it be? he hasn't had any vomitting so i dont think it's a stomach bug. 2 days ago, he had diarrhea at night, but just once and then he was back to normal. he's had stuffy nose from a cold, but he is towards the tail end of it.. my gut tells me the fever he has now is not cold related.

also noticed two small red dots on his arm.. the last time he was really sick and had fever, a rash developed towards the tail end, and then disappeared shortly after.

i put him to bed in long sleeves as usual, but should i go change him into short sleeves? will take him to the ped tomorrow, but just feeling nervous tonight. first time mom.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:47 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I can understand momma. He may just have a virus. My son (who is now 12) had fevers with no other symptoms - sometimes for a week or longer! He will be just fine. Most times when it is a fever and no other symptoms it is a virus.
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 8:52 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• It probably is just a virus. Or maybe he's teething? But I think a visit to the doctor is a good idea, just for reassurance sake!
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 9:02 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• just like everyone said.. sounds like a virus, try not to give any meds if the fever isn't too high. thats the bodys way of getting rid of whatever he has. Just make sure he stays hydrated. kids can get rashes with a virus also, it's very common. GL
    mamaof2748

Answer by mamaof2748 at 9:10 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• It sounds like he is teething, all those symptoms the fever, diarrhea are teething symptoms. Make him comfortable with teething tablets or orajel and alternate tylenol & motrin every few hours. If you are really paranoid about it take him to the doctor just to make sure he doesnt have anything else going on...But sounds like teething for sure to me :D
    Logansm0mmy

Answer by Logansm0mmy at 9:20 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Yep, sounds like teething. My son runs a little warm whenever he's cutting a tooth. Mamaof2748 is right though, you don't want to give any meds to a little one unless their fever is something like 102 anyway, because a fever is the body's way of fighting off infections, by lowering it with medications you can enable the infection to spread or worsen.

Good luck, and let us know how the dr.s goes tomorrow. I hope everything is alright with your LO.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:25 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Fever for several days, followed by a rash (usually right after the fever breaks) sounds like Roseola. It's a toddler virus, pretty common. My daughter had it. Super cranky and out of sorts! Nothing to do but wait it out. Of course, you should go to the doctor (always should to be safe), but this is likely what you'll be told.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:47 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I don't want to alarm you, but keep an eye on the red dots. The measles are going around in my area.
    Anonymous

• GOING THROUGH THIS TONIGHT ALSO!!!we hav been going through this since thursday!! fever of a 103!! and it breaks for awhile and then comes back, went to the peds office and she took a finger prick and did a strep test( he did hav puss in the back of his throat, :( ) and it cam back neg for strep, she said it could be viral but if in 36 hours his not better, then take him to er or bring him back in, they gave him agamentin(sorry might not hav spelled it right) said this could last up to 5-7days? and phenomana is also going around, praying for you guys and please pray for us...luv BRee
    jesussaves424

Answer by jesussaves424 at 10:38 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• oh, my son is 21months old and he also is very lathargic and hardly wants to do anything until all the tylonal and ibuprofin kicks in then hes bouncing off the walls
    jesussaves424

Answer by jesussaves424 at 10:39 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• my dd is 2 and had a fever for 4 days and no other signs and we went in to the doctor today ans she has strep..
    Lindasmama

Answer by Lindasmama at 11:04 PM on Apr. 6, 2009