any tips on bed wetting

neeche

Asked by neeche at 8:56 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• how often is it ? it could be more serious then just bed wetting... WHen I was little it was everynight and i had to see a dr and get surgery
    Anonymous

• Is this everynight or occassionally? There are many things you can try after you have had your child checked for bladder infection or other medical problems. And after remembering that some kids just are going to wet the bed. They are heavy sleepers, small or not weaker bladder, things like that. Try limiting drinks after 6pm, waking up the kiddo to toilet before you go to bed. Bed wetting pads that alarm when wet. When kids wet the bed, they generally cant help it. They are not being lazy. No one likes to wake up in a wet bed with wet clothes. Please try to be patient and talk with your doctor about this. Shaming a child because of bed wetting is very hurtful and something they will never forget.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 9:19 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Yes - symtoms please.
    Is it every (or nearly) every night?
    Does she wake up once she is wet or sleep right on through?
    Any fears of the dark, refusals to go to the bathroom in the night by herself?
    Have you confirmed with the doctor that there are no medical problems?

In general, double make the bed - water proof pad, bottom sheet, another pad and sheet - so you can quickly strip to a dry layer in the middle of the night. Limit fluids in the 2 hours before bedtime. Wake her for a potty run before you go to bed. If there are no medical probelms, consider a bedwetting alarm. But make certain there are no medical problems first.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:41 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I agree with making sure there are no medical problems such as an infection or possible reflux of the kidney.I have six children and five out of the six had problems with bedwetting,In some cases,there was a medical problem.When my third was 8yrs old they came out with goodnights and we bought a package.(we later switched to pullups, the goodnights though the correct size by weight,were too big)Within two days I saw such a HUGE difference in her self esteem(she felt sooooo much better about herself ! ) She was still "wet" but she wasn't wet.She wasn't waking up with soaked bed,blankets,pajamas etc.....My younger three have benefitted from this knowledge and haven't known what it's like to wake up with everything soaked like their older siblings did.(with the very,very rare exception of when one has fallen asleep before they've gotten their pullup/goodnight on for the night.Tried the other ideas,they didn't work for us. cj
    cjsix

Answer by cjsix at 4:31 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My dd got embarrased and was very upset about the bed wetting. I started carrying her to the bathroom everynight. She sleeps very sound and usually wouldn't even wake up. I would put her to bed and about 3 hrs later I would take her then she could make it all night after that. She is 7 and always tells me to be sure to take her to the bathroom but I really don't anymore but when I told her that she wet the bed...so I think she just sleep really sound and when she worries about it, then it tends to happen.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:29 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• My son occasionally wets the bed, when he was four it was every night. The doctor said we would have to ride it out, did the best we could do with it, until I started checking around for ways to keep from changing the sheets every night. Could not find anything. Make sure you have them checked out, it's important to talk about it, do not embarrass them and check out my journal post in the market place about disposable bedding it's been my saving grace, my son refused to wear pull-ups. This is what works for my family.

SwtDmzMom
    SweetDmzMom

Answer by SweetDmzMom at 12:12 AM on May. 19, 2009