clingy baby

my 7 month old is getting very very clingy. It started that he would scream if I left the room for anything, as soon as he couldn't see me he would start to wail as if he was in serious pain. It keeps getting worse and worse, today it got to the point that when I set him down on the floor so that I could tidy up he garbed my ankle and started trying to suck on my foot. I know there wasn't anything wrong with him - he had just woken up from a nap and right after he woke up I feed and changed him.
Any advice on how to handle this?

Amelora

Asked by Amelora at 9:22 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hold the baby :). Not going to be that little much longer. I look at pictures of my 2 year old at 9 months and I can't beleive the difference. I held her all the time and most of the time now she doesn't even want to snuggled.
    Jessica_Izzy

Answer by Jessica_Izzy at 9:30 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I agree with Jessica! I hold my daughter as much as she wants!! He's not going to want to snuggle with you forever.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:35 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• It's called "separation anxiety" and it shows a cognitive leap; it means your baby is getting smarter. Now she knows that you and she are actually separate people, and that if you leave it doesn't mean you'll come back. It's normal and natural and really, really positive. It can also be frustrating! It is sometimes coupled with or followed by "stranger anxiety" which is the leap in their intelligence that they realize that they DO NOT know everyone; some people are strangers to them (even if it's their lovely aunt that they've met a couple times before.) Extra holding and cuddles is appropriate; let your baby process all this new information and cement the security that you will always be there for them. Hold her as much as she needs! It is SUCH a short period of life, and it's also unavoidable (intensity varies by child, but they all do it!) Take it in stride and know that holding her now helps her to be more secure later.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 9:37 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• This might be a good time to get a baby carrier, if you don't have one. www.thebabywearer.com has a lot of information on the benefits and safety, how-to instructions, and info to help you choose the right kind of carrier for you and your little one. Suddenly finding yourself hands-free WHILE holding your now content baby is a life changing experience!
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 9:40 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• This is very typical for this age! You pretty much can't go out of his sight for the next few months until he gets over this stage. Learn how to tidy up one handed! For me it helped to figure out what things I could do with baby in tow, and which things I needed to do while he was napping. Boys tend to be more needy and clingy than girls.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:22 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Yes, it's a normal stage that they go through ("separation anxiety"). My son was very clingy around this time too. You just have to hold him and show him you love him.

Someone mentioned to play lots of games that build on object permanence (that something still exists even if you can't see it). So lots of peekaboo might help him calm down a little bit. They'll eventually grow out of it, especially once they become more mobile and are starting to play with toys by themselves.

Others things that worked well for us: wearing him in a carrier (when you can), a high chair with wheels (he basically followed me everywhere in our one bedroom apt)
    angelayang

Answer by angelayang at 10:44 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• My daughter is going through this right now as well. She cries and crawls to my husband's legs from the time he comes home until the time she goes to bed. She is very much daddy's girl. We have a kitchen that is attached to a living room without a wall, so we try and put her down in the living room so she can see both of us in the kitchen and then surround her with toys! Every night she seems to stay there a little longer and play before crawling to our feet (so long as we are constantly making eye contact with her and calling her name). It doesn't mean you shouldn't hold them as much as possible, but this little game helps her realize that she can be ten feet away and still "be" with us.
    rabbate

Answer by rabbate at 9:10 AM on Apr. 7, 2009