A Boy and Girl sharing rooms???

At what age is it no longer ok to have your own girl and Boy to share a room together??

Tweetybird5595

Asked by Tweetybird5595 at 9:23 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They actually passed a law on this in Florida about 10 years ago. I don't know the age but DH uncle just had to add on to their house bc their two kids were sharing a room and the boys bday was coming and they were no longer allowed to be in the same room together (apparently they are worried about the 'sexuality' of the children but me and my brother shared a room until I was 13 and he was 11 and we are fine. Actually when we seperated rooms I still made him come sleep in my room (i had bunk beds) because I'm a wuss and cant sleep alone. This stopped when we moved bc his room is across the hall so I was 'secure' I dont see a problem with it unless they are not comfortable with it.
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 9:31 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I think the general idea is school-age. I don't necessarily agree, personally.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 9:25 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I would say when the children understand the differences between boys and girls...not the exactly the physical differences...but that they are different and play and like different thing/toys.
    Anonymous

• my opinion is 2 yrs
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:32 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I think in most states it's only if you're in government housing or for foster care that it's actually regulated. Check it out to be sure, but I just don't see the problem with two siblings of different sex sharing a room. Maybe it would start to get awkward by the preteen years...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:40 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I think here the 'law' only applies for homes that you dont own. But I would think about school aged... When they want to start having sleep overs.
    lovemylittle1

Answer by lovemylittle1 at 9:48 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• My oldest daughter is 9 and oldest son is 6, and even though the girls have a room and the boys have a room, they love to have sleepover's in each others rooms. Until one of them says no, I will keep letting them do it. They are siblings and there is nothing sexual about it, so I don't really see the problem. When they have sleepovers with friends, they all just sleep in the living room on the floor or couches. No one seems to mind.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 1:09 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I'm not a fan of sharing rooms at all. It may just be b/c my brother and I had to share a room until I was 16 (he was 12). I was also never allowed to lock the door so he could just walk in anytime. It drove me nuts. For that reason, I won't make my children share a room if I can help it.
    kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 1:33 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• In base housing they share a room until one of them is 5 years old.
    BethTTC

Answer by BethTTC at 2:43 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Thank all you guys for you opinion.Me and hubby want to have another child .But if we do then the new baby will have to share rooms with my baby now 9 months old.It would not  be a forever situation.Just for 2-3 years.So i am  taking all this in consideration when deciding to have another one.I dont know what to do.Maybe we should just Wait.We know we want more but we dont want them very far apart in age.My husband has one brother and he is 16 years older then him.

Tweetybird5595

Answer by Tweetybird5595 at 11:16 AM on Apr. 7, 2009