Do you engage in conversation with other parents at the park?

Today was actually one of the first times I talked with another mom at the park. I'm not anti-social, but I don't 'put myself out there' either. This nice lady ended our chat with, "I can see you're a great mom." It was cool to hear that from a practical stranger! So...do you get chatty with other mamas/papas?

MommyDumDum

Asked by MommyDumDum at 9:26 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Relationships

• I talk to anyone who will listen to me lol... I'm a SAHM so talking to anyone who is not 2 yrs old makes me happy :)
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 9:36 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• i dont usually, i generaly keep to myself around people that i dont know. if some one were to approach me the i would chat but i always feel akward lol i dont know why. but it is nice when a stranger complements you, i have also had that happen.
    jac1908

Answer by jac1908 at 9:37 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I find that the Dads are easier to talk to then the Moms... I smile and try to be social with everyone but the Moms just look at me like I'm walking around with my nose in the air.... Hubby say's that they're jealous.. Not sure of what but oh well... I will still be nice to everyone.
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 9:49 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I don't. It's not really my choice but I live in a sort of snooty area and no other moms or dads ever want to talk to the weird mom who is covered in tattoos.
    feministmama

Answer by feministmama at 9:49 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I try to talk to other parents at the park as often as possible. I always open with something related to their child, usually a compliment or something cute they are doing and then it just goes from there. And just like it was nice for you to hear you're a good parent from a stranger, I try and say something nice about the person's parenting style as well. As moms we need to support each other - our jobs can be thankless at times and hearing appreciation from a complete stranger is really a strong validation of your hard work. :) Try and return the favor to another mom some day. :)
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 9:57 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I'm really shy so usually only talk if someone starts talking to me. I was once stopped in a restaurant by an older woman who told me how great it was to see children who were behaving properly & using correct manners. (I have 5 kids) Her compliment totally made my day. So now, even if I don't have a full conversation, I try to compliment another Mom who is doing a great job.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 9:58 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• If the mood stikes me I will. Most of the time it's only if they have a baby that looks to be around my son's age. And I usually just ask how old they are, and then tell them how old mine is. Some people just answer and look at me crazy, while others are a little more open and will at least engage in small talk. I'm not usually a very talkative person but sometimes I just like to be nice.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 10:16 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Sometimes..if the person or persons look like they're friendly and approachable.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 2:44 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Oh I'll talk to anyone and everyone. I'll usually ask how old their children are, give a compliment to the child (directly), yarn on about kids and their shenanigans and just be friendly.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 8:08 AM on Apr. 7, 2009