Will smoking and chasing after a 1 1/2 yr. old cause early labor?

I smoked cigerettes with my first pregnancy and went past my due date but now I'm wondering if I will go into labor early with this one b/c I chase after and carry my 19 month old every day. The ob told me if I stopped smoking it will send my system into shock and might hurt the baby.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:34 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Smoking generally is known to cause premature labor/birth...although like everything else...it doesn't happen to everyone. I find it hard to believe that stopping smoking would actually hurt your baby...I would think continuing to smoke will do more damage than quitting would...but hey I'm not a doctor so what do I know. As for chasing after the 19 month old, if you are stressed out more than usual it could also cause you go to into labor early. So the smoking and stress could definitely do something...but will it? You won't know unless it happens!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:38 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• sounds like a bunch of BS to me...
    setliff

Answer by setliff at 9:38 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• no its not BS I was told the same thing by my OB- now I did go into preterm labor but it was not due to either of those reasons it was because I had too much scar tissue on my cervix
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:45 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Iam sending anon cuz I am embaresed and cant spell for shit. I smoked threw all 3. running, chasing you name it - there fine. No early labor here.
    Anonymous

• Smoking relieves stress. Quitting = VERY stressful task to accomplish. Stress = unhealthy, especially when pregnant. My OB told me the same exact thing, which is the ONLY reason why I haven't quit. Cut down, of course i have. Thats why they tell you to quit BEFORE you get pregnant. If you get pregnant unexpectantly, thats not really much of an option unless you aren't a TRUE addict. So there for it is not BS.

My best advice for you is to stick to what your OB said and pray for the best. I wish you the best of luck and I'm sure you will give birth to a beautiful, healthy baby=]
    Anonymous

• oh please. the harm smoking can do is A LOT worse than the stress you'll have if you quit while pregnant.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 10:31 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Looks to me like you aren't an OB, correct? I'd rather stick to the advice of a doctor, thanks.
    Anonymous

• ive had 3 kids and more than 3 drs tell me to NOT quit cold turkey becuase of the stress and to WEAN myself..im goin w anons answers
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 10:56 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• the ones that are saying it obviously arent smokers so they automatically assume the worse. if it wasnt right then it wouldnt be legal!
    Anonymous

• i had quit with my first but i lived in ms and was preg at the time. and then katrina hit and i had no where to live and started again. with this one the doc told not to quit cold turkey b/c it would be too much of a shock to my system and i'd be too stressed and it would affect the baby. i have not quit totally hate to say it and i hate the fact that i havent. but i only smoke about 1 or 2 a day instead of a pack or a pack and a half.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:20 PM on Apr. 6, 2009