its okay for a mom to breast feed when she is running a temp of 101.7 Correct?

i dont know where this came from, it just jumped up on me. i was completely fine this morning... now im running a fever. any precautions i should take while im sick to make sure my girl doesnt get sick??

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 9:46 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is best if you do continue to breastfeed during your sickness. Your antibodies that are fighting whatever you have will pass through your milk, and help your baby not to get it, or if he/she does get it it will be less serious as you help fight it off with your milk instead of the baby having to produce all the antibodies him/herself. Feel better soon though, it sucks being sick and having to take care of a baby too.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 9:50 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• no keep nursing the baby is fine. i got one of those stomach things around thanksgiving and my temp was 104 and i had to go to the ER and get fluids and stuff and the whole time i kept my lil girl in bed with me nursing, it will actually help them from catching what you have, the antibodies are in your milk. hope you get to feeling better. and make sure to take you tylenol and get plenty of fluids.
    setliff

Answer by setliff at 9:50 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• You can nurse when you are sick. Your milk has antibodies in it.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 9:51 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• If you feel your illness is contagious, just wear a mask. I've read she can't get sick while you're sick just from your breastmilk.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 9:55 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Yes and nurse a lot, since baby will get all the antibodies your body creates.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 10:03 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Yes! Keep breastfeeding :-)
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:19 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• When you are sick is the BEST time to continue breastfeeding. Your child will get your antibodies and it will keep him from getting sick OR from getting AS sick :)
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 10:25 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• these ladies are right! i love this site when ppl actually give GOOD advice! :)
    Kersten

Answer by Kersten at 10:33 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• yes! here is a website you should make your new best friend, has the answer to every breastfeeding related question http://kellymom.com/ and her I looked up fevers on that site http://www.kellymom.com/health/illness/mom-illness.html wash your hands more often etc. and nurse nurse nurse
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 10:46 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Yes I have found it can actually keep the baby from getting what you have! Good luck and get well!!!
    nishchav

Answer by nishchav at 11:22 PM on Apr. 6, 2009