Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

child support

my ex does not work well not work he would go to jail befor he get a job does not have a DL to take a way so should i write off getting any money or is there hope

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:50 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (9)
  • There really isnt anything else to do if he isn't afraid of the consequenes, sorry, I am in the same situation. You are entitled to any taxes if he files though, thats the only time we get any money it seems.

    Answer by AK_aries at 9:54 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

  • Been there done that! My ex was self employed and always said he was not working and never filed taxes! So frustrating! Keep pushing, if you already have an order file a violation if he is not paying, eventually he will go to jail, in my case the court gave him too many warnings and second chances, but finally he did have to go to jail and then the bail his GF posted went to the child support because it was set at about what he owed. Once they set an order it will just keep adding up and eventually he will have to pay.

    Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:58 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

  • I haven't heard anything about my child support. It's been almost a year since Ive seen anything. I hope he's in jail. Someday, he will settle down and get a real job and I am going to get every dime that man makes for years.

    Answer by peppermintmocha at 10:44 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

  • Try your best to do good for your child on your own. If he isn't afraid of going to jail and has really nothing to lose then there isn't much you can do. Have you tried "meeting him half way"?
    Just tell him "Look, I know you're not working right now, but do you think you could pitch in a little, buy some diapers/shoes/clothes/food? Whatever you can give me would be a help." Then once he realizes that you're not "after" him, maybe he'll work harder to do better. I don't know your situation though. Good luck!

    Answer by LadyChamp at 10:52 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

  • there really is not any thing that you can do about it if he is not scared of spending time in jail.

    Answer by mrssundin at 11:00 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

  • He has to work sometime in his life. I'm getting cs now and my kids are in their 30's plus he has to pay 12% interest for all those years and if he goes on Social Security he has to pay me through them so think of it as accumulating assets. Let the CS run up. You will get it sooner or later.

    Answer by admckenzie at 11:10 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

  • You know what. I would still file on the jerk. Go through the attorney general. They will mark his social security number. Anytime he works they will garnish his wages. If he is not working they will still require he pays a portion of minimum wage. If he files taxes and gets a refund or earned income credit, they will send it to you for back child support owed. If he is self employed, he still has to pay self employment tax and if he gets anything back like earned income credit, they will send it to you. Eventually if he wants to have any kind of life, he will get a job and make an arrangement with the Attorney general to pay back back child support, pay his current child support, and get his shit together. Otherwise he could go to jail. Plus they will make him pay health insurance. You also can protect your child from visitation. Its something at least your covered.

    Answer by Momforhealth at 11:35 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

  • HI your child deserves that support! Sadly you will probably have to work very hard, harder than the caseworker to be an advocate for your child. Do you know where he lives. if so thats a great start seriously I had to track my ex husband down. He hid for 2 years. I then gave his address to child support. He quit a very high paying job. If you have a case worker call every other week ask has anything new been done on my case. It pissed my worker off but you know what they finally sent a sherrif to his door. The last 5 years he has been paying his cs regularly, took me back to court to lower it and they raised it another 200 dollars. If he goes to jail and is bailed out the bail will go to you. Maybe someday he will want to get his life straightened out. Hang in there and keep on top of the cs workers.

    Answer by okmommy08 at 12:18 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

  • If he goes to jail for failure to pay, you are eligible for "help"

    Answer by AriMicSun at 1:09 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.