What should I take?

I'm heading into the hospital for an induction (first baby!) on Thursday, and was wondering what I should take for myself, DH, and the baby to come home with? Any suggestions? Was there a certain thing you didn't pack that you wish you had? Or one thing you wished was available to you?

Thanks in advance!

matobe

Asked by matobe at 10:11 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Here is my list of suggestions:
    Cell phone, camera, your own pillow, hair brush and something to put your hair back with if it is long enough, all your personal hygiene items (pre-purchase trial sizes), chapstick, hand lotion, the BABY BOOK, a small pad of paper & pen (I liked to keep track of my nurses, baby's feedings and diaper changes), no-slip socks, snacks for yourself, loose clothing to go home in, a onesie, receiving blanket, and newborn hat for your baby if you want him/her to look unique from the standard hospital issued items, a going home outfit for baby, a book or puzzle book, money for the cafeteria & vending machines for your hubby, something for him to do, ask for a chux when it is time to leave so you have something to sit on in the car and protect your car seat. (con't)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:01 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• A bottle of booze for after!
    Anonymous

• Make sure you take your own shampoo, soap. I forgot mine and used the hospitals and then got itchy.

Also, have someone lined up ready to bring you something to eat when everything is calmed down, you will be famished and starving!!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:13 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• an extra pillow, if you are being induced theres the chance of a c-section and you can't sleep on your side (i sleep on my side) or laugh w/o it hurting, wish i had an extra pillow so i could sleep on it or hold it on my tummy when i laughed. and maternity clothes for my first i brought real jeans with me, didn't realize that i wouldn't fit in them yet, so i went home in sweats and my daughter was all cute.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:14 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Im glad I had my booze. It was nice being able to have a drink at the end
    Anonymous

• Plenty of underwear, although they give you those lovely "Fredricks of Motherhood" net panties. My own pillow for sure. The only thing I wanted right away was a hot shower and to be in my own clothes. I did not like wearing pj's because of all the visitors, plus try nursing in a nightie. I would say a magazine or book but I have 5 kids so I actually had time to look at one. This being your first you will be totally consumed with baby and learning the ropes. Good luck to you and your little one. Welcome to the Mamahood.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:14 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• she could take a magazine or book to read while shes laboring though. for in between contractions and what not. you never know how long it'll take and you might go nuts with nothing to do
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:19 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I had a family member bring me food cause i was starving after i had my baby, and i brought movies cause i was in a different place could sleep and the nurses woke me up every 2 hrs maybe 3 and when it got like 5 00am they let me sleep 5 hrs cause i was so tired have fun with the new little one you are having sweetie...
    Anonymous

• Don't forget to pack make-up kit. Lots of pictures will be taken after! No need to doll up, but somewhat satisfactory so you won't hate pictures of yourself later in life.
    Meachan

Answer by Meachan at 10:24 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• MMMMMMMMMMMM labtopmmmmmmmmm:)
    Anonymous