How much does your 2 year-old play alone?

My daughter's 22 months... she's very independent in a lot of ways, but she just doesn't like to play by herself that much. Her favorite thing is to be read to, her second favorite thing is to play "picnic" on the floor (with mom or dad and stuffed animals)... She talks constantly, will talk to herself and sing to herself, and will occasionally play by herself if she's really in the mood. But if I walk out of the room to get the laundry, etc, she doesn't panic, but just wants me to come back. I leave the room and hear, "Wanna read a book with mommy", etc. I'm not complaining because I don't want to play with her (although I do have another baby I'd like to see a little more of lol), I'm just wondering if this is common for this age.

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 10:14 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son plays independantly a lot. Of course he is in a house with 5 adults and prob thinks we are all crazy lol. But since there are so many of us around all the time I think he likes his "alone time" we will be playing and he will push me back and say "all done mommy bye bye" and turn his back to me to show me he's not playing with me anymore lol. or when he really wants to be alone he goes and gets in mine and DH bed and asks me to put Pooh on for him and tells me "k mom shh bye" i think its great that he likes doing things alone but since I know he gets a lot of face time with everyone I know why he does it. If he didnt have all the interaction he does get I'd worry.

Your daughter learns a lot from playing with you and watching you. I understand the need to have 'mommy time' but she looks up to you and thats why she wants you around so much. Also if there is a new baby in the house it prob has a lot to do with it
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 10:22 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• every toddler is different. My 2 1/2 year old doesn;t play by herself hardley at all. I have to keep her busy with playdough, coloring, puzzles and eating snacks. I been going to alot of play groups ad she always wants me to play with her even though there is lots of kids to play with but I always feel guilty when I don't play with her. Its just gets boring and tireing all the time... So don't feel bad, its probably just a stage thats what I keep telling myself.
    sarabeth1

Answer by sarabeth1 at 10:52 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• well we just moved here and don't really know anybody do my son plays alone A LOT... of course i play with him too, but he doesn't get a whole lot of interaction with kids, i am trying to get into play groups in my area so he can meet some baby friends ♥
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 2:06 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• he just turned 2 in march btw
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

• mines a little artist.
    also reads...
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 10:29 AM on Apr. 7, 2009