Romeo and Juliet?

I decided to read Twilight (ugh, my mistake) and after everyone kept comparing it to Romeo and Juliet I had to grab my dog-eared (and annotated) copy of the play and re-read it.

I've read the play several times, I've seen the play performed on numerous occasions and now, after reading it again as an adult in my mid-twenties. I've come to the interpretation that Shakespeare may have been making fun of love-struck teenagers. Anyone else feel that way after reading the play as an adult?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I'm sorry you didn't like Twilight. You probably shouldn't have read it under the pretenses that you did. I'm sorry. I loved it! And you may have something there as far as Shakespeare making fun. lol
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 11:07 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I think Shakespeare was lamenting the purity of first love.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 11:08 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I love Romeo and Juliet. I'm not sure if he was making fun of love-struck teenagers...but he was right on with how obsessed they can become. Most teenagers have an obsession with their first love and some take it to an extreme level.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:12 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I don't think Shakespear was making fun of teenage love, he was showing teenage love and families that don't want it to happen....what can happen between families.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:26 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• i think the point of Romeo and Juliet was to show that love knows no bounds. And that it doesn't matter where you come from, or who you are. You can fall in love with anyone.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 11:37 PM on Apr. 6, 2009