Does anyone else think its odd that there are so many fat kids nowadays?

We all know that obesity is everywhere but jeez I can't believe toddlers and kids are ridiculously fat. I mean I'm not saying starve your kid but how can people let their kids get like that. I mean little girls aren't even pretty anymore cuz their fat! If you have something medically wrong with you, then thats one thing but come on! Everywhere you go you see fat kids!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• Because everyone is sitting in front of the TV or computer. When I was a kid, you could only watch a little tv during the day, and then mom kicked you out of the house (unless the weather was bad). After that, you could come home for lunch, and then again at dinner. Kids today don't get outside enough and play!
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 11:29 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• The "experts" say it's a lack of exercise because kids sit and watch too much TV and games, internet, etc.

I personally think it's a chemical additive in food. I'm not sure what one it is, but when I was a kid growing up in the 70's, hardly any kids were fat. We just didn't have all the fake food.
    Nowadays, pure food is hard for kids to come by, with fast food and microwave dinners and take out....
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 11:31 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• That is because a lot of mom's don't feel like making the home cooked meals anymore, instead they just swing by the Mickey D's drive thru on the way home... It is ridiculous!!! Kids like cookies, yes. But what happened to sliced apples with peanut butter as a little snack? Or carrot and celery sticks? I completely agree with you anon. Mom's need to take a little bit more time out of their busy schedules to make sure that their children are eating nutritious meals.
    Anonymous

• Hmmmmmmm. interesting.
    though I do agree with ouy- to an exrent- it just doesn't seem the kindest way to word it.

but as to why----
    Game Boys, Day Cares instead of running around outside climbing jungle gyms and slides and all those others toys that are fastly becoming banned on playgrounds, artificial additives and too much sugar in foods, etc....etc...etc....

thing is, my kids eat like it's going out of style and they need to make sure all the food in the world is eaten before tomorrow... but they are skinny
    Anonymous

• Being overweight isn't healthy for anyone but the last thing we need is another bitch telling girls that are chunky that they aren't pretty. People like you are the reasons many girls suffer and die or almost die from eating disorders. Give yourself a pat on the back.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:32 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• As a former fat kid myself, I find it hard not to be judgemental of those parents. I try so hard to keep my kids from developing a weight problem because I know how painful it was to be teased mercilessly by other kids. 

Anonymous

• well legalmommy101 what i'm trying to say is, is that there are ppl out there who don't blame the kids for being fat, they blame the parents. so we're supposed to sit back and not say anything and thats basically telling them its ok to be fat?! but not too many ppl say that anymore cuz more than half the country is overweight, so being fat is fitting in! thats the point of my question. and sorry if it hurts your feelings but overweight kids don't come across to me as attractive, and not too many people i know either! so if you dont want people judging, then dont sit around and act like your kid being fat is ok and that the worlds a bitch for judging them!
    Anonymous

• legalmommy101, chill o.k? I agree that the question wasn't worded very well, but the OP has a point. And I agree with timelessglass, I think a lot of it has to do with the way they process food now. I grew up in the '70's and we had a home cooked, well balanced meal every night. We had salad, meat, veggies, bread and fruit for dessert. I admit I don't always do that. I'm guilty as anyone of not always cooking decent meals. Fortunately my kids are active enough to keep their metabolism high. My bff in school was always a little overweight and kids made fun of her. Her mom tried to keep her on a bit of a diet and she always ate well and was active, but she was just built bigger than other kids. Some kids are overweight because they can't help it, but some have parents that need to pay more attention to what they are feeding their kids.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:59 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Alot has to do with the food.... especially fast food. If the mom is nursing and eats it well it goes to the baby too.
    The food industry has changed SO much now. Its sad!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:17 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• soda... candy... lazy parents... schools (what happened to P.E. everyday???)... crazy people waiting outside to take your kids... the list can go on and on. This is America, land of the lazy. Oops, I mean free. Women fought for years to have the same rights as men. We wanted to go out to the work force and all the perks to go with it. But who is raising our children? Schools, daycare's, nannies, friends??? If mom is working, she can't spend time making the same dinner as 30 years ago. So, drive through it is. Fatty hamburgers, soda, deep fried potatoes, and we call it dinner. I am NOT bashing working moms, I have been one and will be again. It gives me first hand experience about the different foods working moms and SAH moms give their kids. Not all, but enough.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 12:23 AM on Apr. 7, 2009