Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CPS: How can you make sure that a family member gets custody of a child?

I am sick with worry for my niece. This is a long story but I’ll try to keep it short. Her mother, (who is my sister through a kinship adoption) has been diagnosed with many psychological disorders, which include but are not limited to: schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, opposite definiance disorder, and she has the emotional and mental maturity of about tweleve years old.

My sister is off her meds and refuses to go back on them. She has been violent in the past when off her meds.

She has no interest in the baby, won't hold her. Goes long periods of time without feeding her or changing her. She is shutting out people from helping with the baby although she does not want to care for the baby herself.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (6)
  • When you go to report her, volunteer to take the child. The state gives preference to family members. Leave your contact information with them and they will contact you when they remove the child. The mother can also recommend someone to place the child with.

    Answer by mlregalado at 11:32 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

  • Listen to the girl above me.. She knows what she's talking about. :)

    Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 11:47 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

  • I agree. I know of another woman who had a similar situation and was able to adopt her sister's son. It took a couple of years to get it finalized, but she had custody most of that time.

    Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:49 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

  • Report her and offer to care for the child. Family gets a chance to care for the child first before a foster home. Speak up and let them know you want the baby. More than likely you or another family member will get the baby.


    Answer by clovismommy25 at 12:35 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

  • Family gets first dibs, but you have to be in good financial and physical health. In the state where I live if a family member takes the child, they get paid less than a foster family would get. Also, you should know that if you take custody of the child and receive money from the state, your sister's check will be garnished for child support. This can cause a huge rift if you don't know or she doesn't know and she finds out her wages are being garnished.

    Good luck! I know these issues are never easy, but you must do right by the child that cannot defend itself.

    Answer by Niki_sd at 1:40 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

  • Ditto to all of the above. My mother is fostering my three young cousins because she played an active role in the state's removal of the children from their home and notified them that she wanted to take care of the kids. The state did an inspection of her house, and then gave the kids to her. Fortunately there are programs to help you if you're struggling to support them, such as WIC (I'm not sure if that's nationwide, but it helps provide food to women, infants and children.) Good luck, I hope you are able to provide the LO with a safe and loving home.

    Answer by BisketLiss at 7:44 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.