Is it normal for a baby to sleep this much?

My baby boy is 10 1/2 months old. He started sleep through the night at 4 weeks. When he started he woud sleep from around 10 p.m. to 9:00 a.m. Now he sleeps from 10 p.m. to 12 and 12:30 p.m. the next afternoon. I've tried to get him on a schedule where I would wake him up earlier and try to give him more naps, but those days he is the grumpiest baby, and he won't hardly lay down for a nap, like he's over tired or something! I was just wondering if anybody else's baby does this or if I should be concerned and ask the doc.

littleblessin

Asked by littleblessin at 11:31 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wuold ask him to be sure, but according to my mom I have always required at LEAST 10 hours of sleep since I was a baby, and I still do...thank goodness my DD is a good sleeper....as long as he's getting enough to eat and drink it shouldn't be a problem. I would ask anyway:)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:35 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• my daughter did this. she grew out of it when she turned about 2 1/2.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:35 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• there was NOTHING i could do to change it. honestly enjoy it while you can
    vabchmommy

• Well if he is not taking any naps, then he is getting almost adequate amount of sleep. Let's see my daughter sleeps from 8pm till 6:45am. Then she goes down for a nap around noon till 2:30 or 3. So I think that about adds up, right? I know some mom's who put their children to bed at like 6 pm and they sleep till bout 6am or 7am. Then still take an afternoon nap. I don't think that there is anything wrong with your baby boy at all. =)
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 11:36 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• My oldest is now 9 (closer to 10) and when she was a baby she slept around 20 hours a day until she was 9 months old. Now, if she gets less than 12 hours of sleep a night, she is cranky and hard to get up. My next child never slept through the night, put himself on a one nap a day schedule when he was 3 months old, and was nap free by the time he was 13 months. Now, I have 3 more, and guess what... they all have different sleeping patterns too! LOL He sounds perfectly normal to me, and be thankful! At least he sleeps. LOL
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 12:45 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My ds is 9mo and he goes to bed around 730-830 every night. He gets up around 8am JUST FOR A BOTTLE AND A FRESH DIAPER, then goes back to bed til around noon or 1ish. THEN he takes a nap around 230 or 3 until 4 or 5pm. So I wouldn't worry if I was you! :-D lol!!
    wirelessbubbles

Answer by wirelessbubbles at 12:55 AM on Apr. 7, 2009