5 month old and a road trip

we are going to cali next week im afraid my 5 month old will cry and throw fits all the way there and it like a 6 hour drive what can i do do make the ride fun??

avahsmommie

Asked by avahsmommie at 11:37 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• stop about every hour to get out, walk him around and stretch his little legs and arms out (they get cramped in the seat), do you have a portable dvd player? you could hook it up and play some kid music in the back for him, something he likes (sorry if your child is a girl you didnt say so im just saying he) bring books and toys he likes, be prepared to sit in the back and read or play/distract him. i have driven twice a year from LA to VA with my daughter starting when she was that age. she did great every time. since its a shorter drive (ours takes two days b/c we stop so she can sleep in a real bed instead of the car) i would leave around his bed time after doing regular bed time stuff that way he sleeps most of the way.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:43 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• take the drive at night when he's asleep... that'll make it easier!
    Anonymous

• When our son was that age, I considered and changed my mind on an eight hour drive to California to see friends and family. I'm glad I did.

He's two now and we are planning a trip this summer. I'm still nervous, but at least he can understand some of what is going on, and will know what we mean when we say we will be somewhere "in a minute".

My advice to you would be if you need to go, drive at night when the baby is sleeping!
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 11:45 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I agree about driving it at night. Put him in his pjs and hit the road with the radio on right at his normal bed time. I've drove cross country with an infant and a puppy by myself, its not to hard as long as you make him comfortable.
    Anonymous

• drive at night if possible, or try to begin the drive right before a nap & stop when ever he starts to get cranky, bring a blanket & have a few mini picnics on the way... bring a few favorite toys & go buy a new one... do you ever play music for baby? if so try playing it when he gets fussy.. play games & help him move his legs & arms to stretch him & get him moving without taking him out of his harness... just do anything that entertains the baby,

When dd was 2mo we had to drive from Texas to Kentucky for a funeral... And then when she was 5/6mo we drove from Texas to Indiana to see family for vacation.. both drives are about 18hrs! So it is do-able. :)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:50 AM on Apr. 7, 2009