How to potty train a 3 year old that wants to still be a baby?

We have been struggling with our 3-year-old for a year to go potty in the toilet. Some days she absolutely refuses to go. I know she knows when she has to go but she keeps telling me she "wants to be a baby" because she sees me changing her baby brother's diaper. I need help with this. My husband and I are so frustrated with this ordeal. We have tried everything from treats, prizes, a day at the park (which she loves), stickers, toys, etc. Any advice and/or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

motherhen2009

Asked by motherhen2009 at 11:47 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You didn't mention if you are letting her wear her diapers or pull-ups. What I would do is stick with underwear no matter what. It is messy & disgusting for her & unfortunately for mom or dad, whoever is cleaning up. But this is absolutely the quickest way to do it. Explain to her she is not a baby anymore & get rid of the diapers (or put them somewhere she cannot see them to save for her little baby brother/sister). The biggest thing is to be consistent. Don't get mad when she has an accident & try to stay home for a couple days (at least). If you have to go out let her know you will put a pull-up on but she still needs to go potty & tell you when & she'll get a treat if she keeps it dry. Good luck!
    oahoah

Answer by oahoah at 11:51 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I have been putting her in pull-ups but I am afraid that they still feel like a diaper to her. My husband isn't near as consistent as I am and doesn't ask her if she needs to go potty near as much as I do when I am home with her. I am the one that is home with the kids the most because I work nights and my husband works days. I think I will do what you said and just put her in big girl cotton panties and get rid of the diapers. Thank you for the advice.
    motherhen2009

Answer by motherhen2009 at 12:02 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• The only way I found to potty train a child is to switch them to underwear. Plain and simple. Leave the pull-ups for night time ONLY, bring a change of clothes when you go out if you have to. 3 days and she will be potty trained. DO NOT get upset if she has an accident and make sure she cleans herself up so there is no reward of attention when she does have one. If you are the one doing the changing every time, she gets her wish and might as well be wearing a diaper.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 1:15 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• The only way I found to potty train is to switch to underwear. I had the same problem with my son as far as pull ups feeling like diapers. My nieces were the same way. My son was potty trained the same day that i took away the pull ups. Just put her in a pull up at night or nap time until you notice her waking up dry or getting up in the middle of the night to go potty. Or you can get bed liners to put on her bed under her sheets, they work wonders. It may be a lot of laundry for a little while but she will get the hang of it as long as you are consistant. Explain to your husband that he has got to be as consistant as you are or she will never get potty trained and he will a lot of accidents to clean up while you arent there. Good luck.
    Sharina

Answer by Sharina at 1:41 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I would like to thank everyone for their help. After I got everybody's answers to my question I decided that I would just do what you all were telling me to do and that was go straight to underwear and pull-ups at bedtime. This morning when she got up I put her in big girl cotton panties ( I put a plastic underwear cover over them) and she kept them dry all day long. I am sure tomorrow may not be near as easy as today was but I think I am finally on the right track.
    motherhen2009

Answer by motherhen2009 at 1:32 AM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Aww, I like all the advice, and we've done all that too. We still having problems. I don't even have any other children. If their advice still does not work for you either. I was told once they go to preschool, daycare, or the like, it usually helps. They see other kids their age going potty and it is like a light bulb goes off. That is what I am hoping for.
    Bigmama4Jesus

Answer by Bigmama4Jesus at 10:42 PM on Apr. 9, 2009