Whats the signs of autism?

I was wondering what the signs of autism are?My son turns three May 8th.He has a very tiny vocabulary and the words he can say he dont really use.(except mom which he uses a lot)When he wants something no matter what it is he just points and says uuhhh.My mom has me worried he might be autistic.

Nikki_91510

Asked by Nikki_91510 at 11:59 PM on Apr. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• sounds like he could be.autism is really hard to self-diagnose, because it varies so much between different symptoms and the severity of them.In a nutshell, autism is the inability to interact, or difficulty with senses.Some have auditory processing too low- their hearing is fine, but comprehending words or different sounds at a time can be hard. Some have problems with their sense of touch or physically feeling different textures / objects, and they try to make up for that by touching more to try to make up for lack of interaction with their world. If your son has autism, then he has trouble expressing or putting words to what he feels and thinks. Those are just examples. It's a very complex thing to understand, but symptoms are pretty obvious in most cases.The most noticable are social cues that are missing. they can't fully grasp how to express themselves or communicate w/ others, and trouble picking up on social cue
    AlleyK

Answer by AlleyK at 1:10 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• if he pays attention to your mouth more then your eyes ... i know is one thing. .but maybe look it up online because i don't want to give you any wrong information..
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:11 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I wouldn't jump to conclusions, some kids take longer to talk. Wait it out for a while and watch for more signs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• i say, just talk to a doctor about your concerns... have you tried speech therapy?
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 2:05 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• It takes more than one sign to be autism.

Talk to your doctor about it. Call Early Intervention about having him evaluated for speech therapy. Do NOT "wait it out"! Getting help early is the key to helping kids...autistic or just delayed!

He points...good sign. He will communicate..good sign. Does he look you in the eye? (consistently or briefly and look away) Do his senses seem to go on overload? Is he impulsive and can't control those impulses? Does he constantly line things up or spin things? Does he flap his arms?

Has his hearing been checked?

I would definitely make a call, if for nothing else than some speech therapy. I have two in now. My youngest didn't say his first word until he was 23 months and in therapy for a month. He's now age appropriate with his vocabulary and usage, just delayed with articulation.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:00 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I agree with ticcledblue. Don't wait it out. I have 5 kids. 3 are typical teenagers, my 2 toddlers have autism. The sooner you can contact Early Intervention, the sooner they may be able to help. Best of luck. ;)
    Cal311

Answer by Cal311 at 7:18 AM on Apr. 7, 2009