my 21 month old has a fever? do you think i should take her tomorrow?

i was sick with a cold and she has all the same symptoms (fever, dry cough, runny nose)..so i think she has it. she goes to the doctor's on thursday, do you think i should take her tomorrow instead? we've been giving tylenol...and generally trying to make her comfy...answers asap please...

mommystar717

Asked by mommystar717 at 12:31 AM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i wouldn't. a cold isn't a big deal, and neither is a fever, as long as its low grade. just try to keep her cool (a cool bath, a washcloth on the head if she'll keep it there). the docs aren't going to do anything except give you some home remedies. i'd just wait until your next appt
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 12:33 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Try motrin and some water down gatorade. Motrin always worked like a charm for my girls. Other then that I would call the doctor and see what she suggest for the cough and congestion...they will probably say it is ok to take Motrin for the fever and tylenol cold and flu for the other symp.
    GOOD LUCK!!!
    LimoMOM5

Answer by LimoMOM5 at 12:33 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• i wouldn't do the tylenol cold & flu, they no longer recommend cold medicines for young children
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 12:35 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• OMG!! !THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! THE FEVER HAS BEEN WORRYING ME ...I THINK I WILL CALL THE DOC AND SEE WHAT SHE SAYS!!! AND I WILL GET THE MOTRIN...ALTHOUGH NOT THE TYLENOL COLD CUZ' THEY SAY TO NOT DO THAT BUT, THANK YOU!!!
    mommystar717

Answer by mommystar717 at 12:46 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• hope she feels better!
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 12:51 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• They won't do anything for a cold. I am sorry hun. I hope she feels better soon. Do a cool mist humidifier in her room, give her some tylenol depending on the temperature (the Children's hospital I work for recommends anything over 102). Remember a fever is your body's natural way to infection so you want it to do it's job as much as you can. Use some Vick's rub.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 1:06 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• If its a cold then there is nothing the doc can do anyway. Best thing you can do is let the fever run its corse. She is running a fever because that is what she is supposed to to. As the body temp rises it slows the spread of the virus or bateria and speeds up the production of antibodies.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003090.htm

This artical will help you understand what a fever does. Be careful with tylonal.. as with any medication, it can have adverse reactions.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:56 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• what is her temp.? give her lots of fluids... make sure she stays hydrated...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 2:04 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• dont give gatoraide!!! it is too high in sugars and can actualy cause dehydration in young children. give pedialyte instead or an electrolight supplement . they wont do much for a cold but if the fever is high it might not be just a cold. if it is just a mild cold that makes your child uncomfortable you can probably wait. but if it is a high fever or severe symptoms dont wait. use your instincts as a mom. how is your child behaving? as usual or just lying around? a little fussy or out right crying constantly? listen to your instiincts you know your child best!!!
    allforthelove

Answer by allforthelove at 4:33 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• How high is the fever?

Treat her cold as always...
    Elevate her head.
    Steam in the shower and suction out (or blow!) the nose
    Saline nasal drops
    Run a humidifier in her room
    Tylenol for discomfort and/or fever (if high enough to need medication)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:03 AM on Apr. 7, 2009