If you are not religious and you see a post on here from someone who obviously is, does that effect your chances of responding to that post or to that person?

I ask this question because I was on here before with no picture and a regular screen name and people responded to me a lot more. Now that my picture is on here and I have a religious screen name, it seems that people ignore me A LOT. I am still the same person so if I was worth your time then, why am I not worth it now? I could be wrong, I know but I was just wondering? Please no bashing...thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, that doesn't bother me at all. However, since I am not a super religious person, I may not feel comfortable answering very religious questions as I don't read the bible and I don't necessarily know what I am talking about. I don't not want to speak with religious people . . why would I? Maybe it is some of the questions, or maybe it has nothing to do with any of that and it's just the wrong time of day. Some questions get pushed pages back in just a short time and not that many go past page 1 or 2 . . also the category . . some categories are no where near as popular as others.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:15 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• If I know someone is a devout follower of a religion that is not mine, I might not answer because my frame of reference is different and my answers might not be what resonates with that person. Also if the question is obviously intended for Christians only, and I have nothing to contribute from that paradigm, then I may not respond. Sometimes I will, since just because I didn't remain Christian doesn't mean I don't have a good working understanding of the teachings and scriptures.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 1:22 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• OP here-Thanks for your answer and I understand you not wanting to answer religious questions if you are not religious. I try to put those type of questions in the religious sections only. The other things that you said did make sense though. Again, thanks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Collinsky, your answer made a lot of sense too but I really do appreciate everyone's point of view and I wouldn't count you out just because you belief system may be different than my own. Wisdom is wisdom.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• No. It doesn't bother me either way.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:26 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I don't look at screen names. I look at the titles of postings and respond if it piques my interest. Same thing goes with journals. I usually bypass journals that are in some way thanking god, asking for prayers and such...to each their own I figure.

However I feel the need to respond to journals where non-believers are obviously being attacked. There is usually a vast amount of ignorance in those postings so I feel the need to defend myself and others like me.

I usually look at screen names after the fact.
    ShutterBug77

Answer by ShutterBug77 at 1:35 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I look at the questions, not the person most of the time. I have my beliefs, but am not religious because I'm not educated religiously. I don't like things shoved down my throat (not that it ever is but there has been very heated stuff in here on many issues), so I am really picky. Most times there has been great communication. I don't have many problems. I read a lot here, way more than I write. I don't feel the need to back myself up or defend, because I believe in freedom of religion, along with lots of respect for each person.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 6:45 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Some people are going to react that way because there seems to be a lot of animosity among faiths. I really don't care. I have a lot of Christian friends. Now, if I know someone is a bible thumper who will push their beliefs down my throat and ignore any legitimate response I make, I will ignore that person. But everyone has equal opportunity to either befriend me or irritate me.

mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 7:13 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I look at the subject matter of the question. If it seems to be calling out to a specific group I usually leave it alone simply because it was not meant for me.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 7:56 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I think it depends on your question . . .
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 8:25 AM on Apr. 7, 2009