Suggestions on how to handle a spoiled 13 year old step-daughter.

Iv'e pretty much been thrown into role of mommy from day one,she was 8 years old when her father and I met,he got custody,but his mother pretty much raised her from 5 on. Her mother gets visitation,never abused the child just moves around alot and is remarried with 2 children, looking back I think the custody fight was over who was right or wrong he had a stable home with mom and dad, she was in the military. Not saying she was a perfect mom,but not on drugs or physaically abusive either. They seperated when Anna was 12 months old and he got custody when she was 5, I came into the picture at 8.Immediately his mom was referring to me as her new mom,I hardly knew his mom, the 8 yr old ordered all of the adults in the house around never being told no about anything. This has continued, got some better,still issues about household rules, everyone pities her because of the divorce, 12 yrs ago, we now have a 3 yr old Im tired .

nursemommie06

Asked by nursemommie06 at 1:25 AM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Kids are very resilient. My parents divorced when I was young, and my family scars are related to other things. She doesn't need to be pitied and spoiled. Kids secretly crave routine and rules - someone who cares enough to tell them no. Sure, it sucks, but it is what it is. She should be assured she is loved, and that involves discipline which will only help guide her. Don't let her run the show, that's not what love and parenting is about. You can't change anyone else, but if others decide to follow your lead, then great. Just follow your instincts and do what you feel is right for the family as a group and individuals. You're in for a fun ride... my daughter almost 18.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 1:55 AM on Apr. 7, 2009