Period or implantation bleeding?

I havent had a period since before I conceived my son...I am now starting to bleed for the first time but its VERY light...is this my period or possibly implantation bleeding? Shouldn't my first period after so long be heavy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:43 AM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Health

• It could be possibly either. There is no way for anyone to know. Usually, the period should come first and most women consider their first period after having a child (or ceasing breast feeding) as a "warning period" meaning, that this period signals the start of their cycle again and their ability to get pregnant. However, if you ovulated and were just about to get your period but concieved instead, you wouldn't have gotten a period. So then bleeding may be implanation bleeding.

Spotting with stringy discharge can just mean ovulation.

I've heard of many women having lighter periods when they started again after having children. It depends on the woman. I suggest waiting 1-2 weeks and taking a pregnancy test and then re-testing 1-2 weeks after again if you get a negative.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:20 PM on Apr. 11, 2009