To toddler bed, or not to toddler bed. That is my question.

..he is 15months old and his crib is turned into the toddler bed. He loves to sit on it and I wasn't trying to get him to sleep in it because it didnt have a rail and he tosses and turns in his sleep. I bought him the rail. How do I tell if he is ready? What are the rules to getting him to sleep in it? (tricks/tips) Thanks ladies

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 6:53 AM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Honestly I think that unless your little guy is climbing out of his crib and its not safe anymore I would wait till he was 2 before switching him. Kiddo's have to be able to understand the concept of staying in bed and sleeping. Do you think he can grasp that concept? Some kids do. Most kids cant and it becomes a horrible experience for everyone concerned. Good luck momma.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 8:16 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I waited. My daughter loved her crib. She never tried to climb out. When she turned 3 I decided it was time. She has been sleeping in her big girl bed for two months now and she loves it. She stays in her bed the entire time, from the moment I lay her down for bed until I go into her room in the morning. I think it was Parents Magazine that actually recommended waiting until around 3 as long as your baby is not trying to climb out of their crib. I was concerned about her getting out of her bed if I tried to early and her getting into toys that she would choke on. She is old enough now to understand nap and bed time and not to put toys in her mouth. I don't know what I will do with my youngest. She is almost one and has already climbed out her crib.
    Lexi.Mommy

Answer by Lexi.Mommy at 8:53 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Considering you are having problems getting him to sleep, I wouldnt convert it yet.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 10:52 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• If he's not climbing out or you can't find any way to prevent him from climbing, then switch. Once he has the freedom of a bed, there is NOTHING to keep him from getting into all sorts of trouble when he wakes up at 3am. There is nothing to keep him in his bed at naptime and bedtime either. If there are toys in his room, he will get out of bed to play with them. If he hears you elsewhere in the house, he will leave his room to find you. Do everything you can to keep him safe... that means in his crib for as long as possible. The AAP recommends up to age 3.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:27 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I could never get my daughter to sllep in her crib/toddler bed though i constantly tried. She would insist it was still a crib for babies even with the one side removed. Finally we bought a toddler bed that looks like a smaller version of a regular bed, and in about a week it was smooth sailing. She loved it. He'll pry need to be a little older for that though. Good luck!
    EmeryRosesMommy

Answer by EmeryRosesMommy at 1:15 AM on Apr. 10, 2009