Your 5 year old comes to you and asks where babies come from and how they get there.. what do you tell him/her?

My niece is 5 and has seen alot of pregnancaies of people close to her lately, her aunt, her mom, me, another close freind of her moms, like at least 5 in the past year ... well about a weeks ago she asked her mom " i know babies come from a MOMMIES TUMMY but how do they get in there? her mom was shocked but just tolf her "God puts them in there" she was ok with that.. for now lol...

what would or have you told your young child?

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 7:00 AM on Apr. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• I like the "god put it there" it isnt a lie lol...but it isnt the whole truth either. I would probably have said something like "your uncle (whom ever my hubby was to her) put a seed in my belly button and watered it everyday, then one day it grew a baby" lol......or something. Never got asked that question and Ive been around ton of lil kids in the family.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 7:03 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I think the truth is important. In simple terms. I think I would've told my little one "your daddy and I love each other very much, and when you're an adult, and when you love another adult like your daddy and I do, then a baby is made" The details can come later......in about 20 years...
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 7:38 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I told my boys that God put them there also. Then came the " how did we get out?" and I told them through a special baby door. They then asked if they could see the door. lol... since my twins and my youngest were c-section, ( but not my first) I showed them my scar. That satisfied their questions for now.
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 8:52 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My son was five when I was pg with my youngest and he asked these questions. I told him that a cell from the dad meets a cell from the mom, and this forms a baby that grows in a special place called a uterus inside the mom. When the baby is big enough to come out, a mom has a special opening called the birth canal that the baby can pass through. That was fine for him, he is almost seven and still has not asked for further detail. HTH!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:00 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I like yours freela.
    I'll use that.
    Im not gonna say god put it thier cos im athiest.
    mum-to-be-at-18

Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 10:26 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• They makes books about this. When my mother was pregnant (which she ended up having a miscarriage) my brother was around 5 years old. She bought a book that explain about how babies are made for children. You can google these type of books or go to the library to find one.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 10:36 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• wow mum to be thats something????????? So if something should happen to your baby, who are you going to look to?? What do you pray to??????
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I just got a similar question from my just turned 5 year old. My cat just had kittens, since we weren't home when she had them she didn't see the birth. When she was done checking them out she looks up and asks how they got out, I was running around trying to do ten things at once and didn't have the time to really answer the question so I told her it was magic, she thought that was cool and moved on. I am normally very open about it but I was just to busy this time. My oldest kids learned by watching a show about horses and the horse gave birth, they wanted to know if real babies came out of the mom's butt, so I explained that mommies have a special spot by thier privates that is for babies to come out. That was good enough for them. I think it is when we get caught off gaurd that we can come up with the funniest answers.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 1:35 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I WOULD TELL THEM THE TRUTH IN A WAY A 5 YEAR OLD COULD UNDERSTAND AND NOT BE GROSSED OUT.

Answer by older at 2:25 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I would stick with the truth. I like freela's answer.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 11:25 PM on Apr. 7, 2009