How can I make spelling words fun?

I have a 6 and 8 year old. One with spelling tests and one with "List A" words that will be very important next year(and only a few are important this year.) My 8 year old hates to go over them and her tests are weekly! Is there a way to make these fun?

Roserae

Asked by Roserae at 7:10 AM on Apr. 7, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sometimes we make up silly sentences that help them remember. (My kids are the same ages!)
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 7:14 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My kids find funny ways to say the word so they will remember. Instead of trying to say the word correctly they say it phenetically. That way they remember the spelling even though it sounds differently.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:51 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My son's teacher sends home word searches with the spelling words hidden in them. Maybe you could make some up? My son loves them, he thinks they're fun. And he has to be able to spell the word in order to find it.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:01 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Have a spelling race.... I helped a couple kids across the street with their words this way. Everytime they spell a word right they move forward, If they misspell it they stay still. The farthest one after all the words are used is the winner.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:17 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• We do this:
    Mon: Word Sort: Child writes each word on an index card. Child sorts the words based on whatever similarities or differences seen. Then writes each group down. Keep the flash cards.
    Tues: Word Hunt: Child looks for each word in books, magazines, etc. Child covers the word up & writes it down. Then child checks the word.
    Wed: Create Words: Use the flash cards. Child cuts each word up. Mix the letter. Child spells words with the letters.
    Thurs: Practice Test: Give a practice test. Whichever words are missed, if any, do this trick with: Say the word is "above." Child writes and says each letter as they write it:
    a
    ab
    abo
    abov
    above
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 12:35 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• If you have any questions about the activities we do let me know. I didn't get to fully explain everything like I would normally due to the space restrictions. My SD does with these activities. Her least favorite is the word hunt. sometimes we use the dictionary to find the words. I figure that at least when she does that she is learning some alphabetizing skills. Her favorite is when you cut the words up remake them.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 12:37 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Try this website: spellingcity.com You type in the words (or kids) and there are many activities generated. The kids love to "play" on the computer, but they are learning and studying.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 6:04 PM on Apr. 7, 2009