im having a csection. what should i bring and how should i prepare?

ok so i am having a csection monday and i have the hospital bag almost fully packed. what should i bring to make sure that i am as comfy as can be. and also, how should i prepare myself for the procedure? the most ive ever had done is toncils removed and i am terrified of needles, let alone big ones. does anyone have any advice that might be good for me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:36 AM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had a c-section when my little guy was born. Just pack a bag like you'd do if you were having a natural delivery. Your hygienic supplies will be a big comfort.

With my c-section, the worst feeling was that everything was gonna fall out when they told me I had to get up and move around a few days later. Don't worry, the staples hold pretty well. Just a sickening feeling though.

Don't worry about the needle, if they're giving you an epidural, it goes in your back, and you don't see it. You might feel it for a second, but that's it. The harder part will be the IV, which I'm fairly sure they'll give you no matter what. I had to look away, but it didn't hurt too bad, just felt weird.

I had to take my hair down during the surgery, because it hurt to lie on the ponytail I had it in. Just keep yourself calm and everything will go fine. It's usually over in like 10 minutes.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 8:14 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Inform your partner now of your needs and wants. For example, after a c-section they will generally take you to recovery for at least one hour before you are taken to your room. In that hour they will take your baby to the nursery for the bath and some testing. Do you want your partner to go with the baby during that time? I did send him with the baby. It was good bonding time and he could instruct the nurses to not give her formula, as I would be breastfeeding. If you plan to breastfeed, take the Bobby with you, it helps because your mid-section will be sore and wrapped in an ace bandage type brace. Also, tell your partner you want to breastfeed as soon as you and baby are reunited. You will be on a liquid diet while you are in the hospital, so don't bother taking snacks.
    kara_g.

Answer by kara_g. at 8:27 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Continued: Do take cosy slippers and socks though, and chapstick and your shampoo and conditioner. For recovery: ACCEPT HELP. My dear mother-in-law, who recently passed away, was my savior when we got home. She stayed low profile and cooked, cleaned and brought me juice while I nursed and recovered and bonded with my daughter. If you can prepare some meals for the freezer, before you go, you will be glad that you did.
    kara_g.