Have you been able to take a break from your EBF baby who won't take a bottle?

My son is 3 months old. He is EBF and, up to this point, has not taken a bottle. I'm wondering if anyone has had success leaving their non-bottle-taking baby with a trusted care giver for short periods of time. For example, nursing and then going out to lunch with DH while my mom watches him. I realize that evening activities are probably not an option at this point.

Since my son was born, I've only been away from him twice, and both of those times were within the first week when he slept all the time. I'm (obviously) a SAHM and very committed to nursing, but it would be nice to have a date with my husband.

I'm not looking for advice on how to get him to take a bottle.

Nerdy_Mom

Asked by Nerdy_Mom at 7:40 AM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think you should be okay. As long as you are not gone for hours one end. I would make it very clear to who ever is watching him that you do not want him taking from the bottle.

I know for me I would leave a bottle just in case he was really fussy, you do not have to do that. You know his schedule and about how long it will be before he feeds again, so just make sure you are back in time for the next feeding.

You have a right to go out and have fun, I am a SHAM and I love being with my children, I have been home for over 7 years, and I still like to go out and have fun without my children.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:48 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My daughter was also EBF, she would take a bottle of pumped milk if ABSOLUTEY neccessary, but if I were just going out to lunch she would be fine with my mother and not need it.
    Duckieglc

Answer by Duckieglc at 7:52 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Is he on any type of predictable schedule yet? Maybe you could plan for a time when he *normally* sleeps for awhile and go somewhere close-by with your husband, so that you can be reached and come right home if he unexpectedly wakes up.

My husband and I did very simple dates b/c we live in the country and nothing is close! So, just the drive time was a deterrent b/c my oldest was a very frequent nurser for almost the whole first year! So we would go to the local ice cream shop, walk around a nearby lake for 20 minutes or so, walk around the neighborhood, etc. My mom and MIL both babysat for us at times.
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 7:52 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I had an EBF boy who never once took a bottle. I would go out when I wanted / needed. As the ladies have said feed before you leave, leave baby in the care of someone responsible enough to give a call at the first signs of hunger, and most of all enjoy that time!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:03 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• When my ds was on a predictable night time schedule I knew I had from about 8-9pm till about midnight free. If I had someone to be a warm body in the house I'm sure dh and I could have gone out. After he was about 10-11mos old he was able to go about 6-7 hours without nursing during the day if necessary because he was so busy and into everything. There was one time I got dh to watch him and his brother while I had an afternoon to myself.
    NinjaMomma

Answer by NinjaMomma at 9:53 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My son refused a bottle and at 3 months old DH dropper fed him a little EBM while I went to get my hair done. The doc suggested a sippy cup at 4 months and he did great with it (obviously care giver needed to hold it for him). I usually just left for short periods of time when I was pretty sure he would be asleep/happy, but I always left some EBM just in case.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:00 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• just have your cell phone ready, cause he could decide to change his feeding schedual on you and might need the boob right as dinner is being served :)
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:03 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• My baby will take a bottle BUT... when I am gone she eats much less than when I am there. So I can leave for short periods of time without her eating. Like yesterday, I went to get my hair cut and do a little shopping. I fed her before I left, was gone about 2 1/2 hours then came home and fed her.
    Missbehaves

Answer by Missbehaves at 4:39 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• We just stick close to home and keep our cell phones on or set to vibrate. Sometimes we want to go to the city for a date (we have almost nothing around here) so we'll meet my parents there and they'll take the kids to a store or somewhere fun but if they need us, we're still close enough to get there in a few minutes.
    heydooney

Answer by heydooney at 5:32 PM on Sep. 28, 2009