Whats a basket hold restraint?

anna345

Asked by anna345 at 7:43 AM on Apr. 7, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• what is with the restraint questions? if your kids are that bad that they need to be restrained then you need to see a doctor or a counselor. i am not trying to be mean but seriously i have never had to restrain any of my kids and dont know anyone who has.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:19 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Well I am kind of affended by that because they do have a counselor and they said to do that and i have like no experience with any of that stuff so I was just asking and I am new sorry though
    anna345

Answer by anna345 at 8:25 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• no dont apologize the counselor suggested the restraining? i mean i would think they would look deeper into the problem first i just dont understand i mean i have seen the restraining techniques on tv and i personally wouldnt do that but there has to be soemthing more going on. i am not trying to offend you honestly how old is he cuz you have one question under toddlers or something and this is 5-8
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:30 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I have 3 children 3 8 and 12 the ones i need to restrain is my 8 yo and my 3yo but right now im focusing on my 8 yo. Yes I agree with u that the counselors need to go deeper in the problem.My 8yo is attending counseling one a week every week.
    anna345

Answer by anna345 at 8:43 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• A basket hold is if you were to make your arms into a circle and put the child's butt in the circle first and their legs/feet and upper body come out the top. But, their arms go out the bottom, it is so they can't hit, kick or throw things.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:57 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• a basket hold is basically a hug hold while sitting on the floor. Your body is basically sitting indian style so that you can use your legs to hold their legs if needed. Your arms are around them like a hug is necessary their arms are crossed so that your L is holding their right and vice versa that way they cannot hit or hurt or even kick etc.
    It gives you balance to not fall over also. The one thing to be very careful with is if they head butt you need to keep your head as close to their back as possible (very dff. in very small children) or just be careful. Also VERY IMPORTANT -- Do NOT hold at the joint. You need to hold above the wrist (b/w the wrist to elbow) b/c joints can dislocate. Same with the legs -- your legs above their knee b/w the knee and the thigh. The "proper way" is on the floor but i've also been okay sitting on the couch with them b/w my legs (better on our back sometimes) --
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 12:49 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• con-- I'd also suggest that if the counselor is talking to you about restraint holds they also need to provide training on how to do it correctly, which are okay and not okay and why and the most imp. part of the training is the prevention/deescalation tech/skills and the after "closure" part etc.
    They should not suggest a restraint w/o teaching it. I'd also suggest you get in touch with your local parent-to-parent, sometimes they offer the courses as well or know who does. Its worth it for your own sense of security, confidence, and b/c it does take practice to feel comfortable and in an emergency is NOT the best time to practice.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 12:53 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• It seems like you got your answer, but I want to let you know that you're not alone and that if restraint is needed, it's not anyone elses business. My son is 6 years old with ADHD and ODD. If anyone wants to tell me that I'm not serving my son's best interest, go ahead. I can take it. My son at 3 years old was kicked out of two preschools. we went to psychologist, psychiatrists, pediatrician, and social workers. The behavioral therapist told us that he was so unfocused that he had to recomend something he almost never did... medication. We've had to restrain my son many times.
    After working with so many, reading books, and being calm, and consistent, my son is doing really well in kindergarten. He's not perfect. He punched someone yesterday because they were mad at him for something he did wrong. But he's having long streaks of GREAT behavior and i'm so glad I restrained him when I did. I haven't had to in 1.5 yr
    trishmused

Answer by trishmused at 3:10 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I know you got your answer, but I just wanted to offer some support. My daughter is 5, and she has some issues that we are trying to pinpoint and deal with. She has autism, and possibly bipolar disorder. She gets very aggressive when she tantrums, and as a last resort we have to restrain her. I would hate for you to feel like you are the only mom who has to restrain her children. It is not because you are a bad mom. It is not because you didn't do something properly. It is a testament to your inner strength that you are taking the steps and pushing through. I wish you all the best with your son. Answers will come, and life will not always be this way.
    robynnselli

Answer by robynnselli at 7:29 PM on Feb. 3, 2011