Do I need to restrain my 3yo when hes violent or what?

anna345

Asked by anna345 at 8:12 AM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Basket hold restraint: "The basket hold is a type of physical restraint in which, as I have seen it implemented, a person stands behind a child who is most likely in a mode that I will call “tantrumming.” The child’s arms are crisscrossed over his chest and his hands held by a person standing behind him." (http://www.blisstree.com/autismvox/teaching-strategy-11-training-and-the-problem-with-the-basket-hold/)
    I don't know how helpful that is...I'm sorry, I have no suggestions..

BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 8:25 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• what do you mean restrain? and what do you mean by violent?
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:14 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• He hits and kicks and throws everything he comes in contact with. I told his doctor and he said the best thing to do is to restrain him I think its called a basket hold restraint he said but I have no clue what that is please dont laugh!
    anna345

Answer by anna345 at 8:21 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• no i am not laughin hon i just am trying to understand. is he doing this when he gets mad or is it just random times when he is mad or not. explain more please
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:23 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• WHY does he hit, kick and throw things...what is happening/happens before this behavior starts?

Does your child have difficulty communicating his wants? Not being able to do so can cause a lot of frustration and lead to such behaviors. If your child is a danger to himself or others then of course you need to remove him from the situation that is dangerous. How you do that is up to you, so long as you take in to consideration everyone's safety.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:25 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• i would assume a basket hold is when you sit behind him and he is in between your legs u put your legs over his and your arms around him im not positive but thats the only basket position i could think of that dosent hurt. sorry u have to go threw this xo *hugs*
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 8:26 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• He mostly does it when hes mad he just goes crazy If I dont give him what he wants he will start doing all of those things and I took him to a doctor who told us to go to a counselor and she said just do a basket hold restraint.
    anna345

Answer by anna345 at 8:27 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• He just gets so mad and its always over the smallest things he goes nuts
    anna345

Answer by anna345 at 8:30 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• When my son used to throw tantrums, he'd drop himself to the floor, and scream and everything. I let him do it, walk away, and stop feeding the attention craving. When he had calmed down, screaming stopped and all that, I would pick him up, hug him, and offer a different toy to play with, or a different thing to do. He doesn't throw as many tantrums anymore, still once a week or so..but they don't last as long anymore, and he never winds up on the floor, he just stomps around for a minute until I offer a new distraction. Maybe that will help? I wish you luck, hun.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 8:32 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• If you are going to do this restrain then you need to talk him through it as well. He's 3 so there isn't a lot of self control yet. Tell him he needs to talk to you if he needs something. You love him and his behavior is not exceptable. He needs to understand why it is happening while it is happening. Good luck.
    NicoleWienke

Answer by NicoleWienke at 8:32 AM on Apr. 7, 2009