At what point in labor does the doctor allow you to have an epidural?

Do you have to dilate to a certain point or what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i guess after you start having labor pains?
    depends on the hospital too... at mine all you had to do was ask.. whenever. as long as you were actually at some point in the labor process.

i waited until i couldn't take the pain anymore.. i'm not a very big person.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I didn't get one, but I remember the nurse saying that when I was at 4 centimeters I could if I wanted one.
    Anonymous

• i agree with the above. when your in pain and cant stand no more i your stress its worse. i would assume at least after being dilated to 3-4 cm. and i beleave 9cm is to late i went from 9cm to 10 in seconds so it was to late for me ): thankfuly he was pushed out in 15 mins lol.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:35 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I think usually they wait until you are at leasllt 4 cm. But I couldn't tell from personal experience, I didn't have an epidural, just some nubain. If differs from hospital to hospital and doctor to doctor. I'd say ask your doctor what their policy is! Good luck!
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 9:35 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I was told between 3 and 7 cm
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• oh yea!! i'm sorry!! i forgot about being dilated first i'm sorry... my hospital did say at least 4 cm... then anytime after that.

1st anon from :33.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• they like you at least 4cm
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:52 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Actually that is a myth that you have to wait to be dialated to a certain degree. the myth is it slows down progress and to wait. if thats happened to you, that is actually the staff pushing their beliefs on you. because you know, if you wait, you might end up waiting to long, and then have to avoid one all together. they probably are those that think there is a risk , blah blah. but medically as soon as labor begins, contractions start , you can get one. My last child, I went to the hospital at 8am to get induced, it was on my due date, I have large children, runs in my family too, so we didnt want to want. I started on a drip to start labor within 20 min's I was contracting, by 9am I had my epidural before my water even broke, I gave birth around 1pm. I have friends that are doctors/ nurses that can confirm.

Kerinmomof2

Answer by Kerinmomof2 at 10:55 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• at the same time I have a friend who is a RN and tried to tell me not to take my pain medication after delivery cuz of BF..which is just her personal belief and that's all it is when nurses have you wait for an epidural. ask any anestigologist at any hospital. medically there is no reason to wait, and it will not slow you down, in some cases it speeds it up cuz you are comfy and yah it has gone the other way, but it has nothing to do with waiting or not. every delivery is different.

Kerinmomof2

Answer by Kerinmomof2 at 10:58 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• they ley me have one when i got to 4 cm..
    brittanybell

Answer by brittanybell at 12:01 PM on Apr. 7, 2009