• In the Spotlight:

What would you do if someone called your child a racial slur?

yesterday on the bus, a boy called my daughter (who is biracial) a nigger. She said she never wants to ride the bus again, and I don't blame her! But she has to. I told her to tell the bus driver, and if he wouldn't do anything, I could contact the school. She doesn't know the boy's name, or what school he goes to. What would you do if it was your child?

ladybug4

Asked by ladybug4 at 9:36 AM on Apr. 7, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Don't bother with the dayum phone, it won't accomplish anything. Talk to the bus driver first, face to face. They DO care about their charges.

Next, go to the school and speak to the principal in person. Find out who the other kid is and go see their parents. Be *firm* if they get offensive, do not back down, do not accept the "oh well black people say it" bullchips, they know dayum well it's not the same and that is why they do it.

While you're doing this, arm your child, and teach her how to use her weapons..intelligence, language, attitude, pride, self respect= power.

This has worked very well for us.
    MizKizzy

Answer by MizKizzy at 2:37 PM on Apr. 7, 2009

• sorry but that's going to happen with her being biracial.. just like blacks call white kids crackers or honkeys
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I would call and report it as soon as possible. I would call the school and the department of transportation - they will be able to tell you what kids are on the bus from what school.... Call this morning and see what can be done
    onyourterms

Answer by onyourterms at 9:38 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I would call and report it. There were probably witnesses she could think of that would know who he is. Also, prepare her for the mean spiritedness in people. That will happen from time to time and how to hold her head up high. If she has contact with her black side of the family, now is the time for her to talk to them about how to handle it. As, I am presuming you are white and may be unfamiliar w/ how to handle this. GL.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 9:43 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I would report it, but I would also let my daughter know that where ever she goes there are always going to be stupid people saying really stupid things, and if she stops riding the bus or seriously avoiding that kid, that kid will know he has power over her.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• okay karriemarie i'm not being mean but what makes you think that white people don't have racial slurs thrown at them?
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:45 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I would personaly talk to the bus driver. And call the school and talk to the princaple. To see what can be done about it.

Answer by louise2 at 9:52 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Josiesmommy00 don't you know that only white people are racist and use racial slurs?

Anyway, my daughter has been called a sand nigger and it was very painful for me. She was a tiny baby so no hurt feelings for her.

See if you can buy some books about it and call the school. I don't think the kid should be punished because he probably doesn't know better. The school should have do something to teach about bullying and racism.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:03 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Wow, if anyone called someone a nigger here in the uk. They wouldn't live to see the next day. In fact when i was at school, a tonne of the black kids ganged up on a friend of mine cos they misheard him when he said trigger. He got beaten so badly. No matter how much we told them he didn't says racial slur. That sucked.
    But yeah, you should report it. No one deserves to be called a racial slur.
    mum-to-be-at-18

Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 10:16 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• report it ... do u take her to the bus? GO UP ON THE BUS!!! my dad drives bus and he gladly welcomes parents who might have an issue ...

i got suspended from school for a month , bc of people called my niece a ni--er (shes biracial too) ... i showed a friend her pic n the grl behind us said it , i put the pic in my purse n let her have it lol

also got kicked out a skating rink for fighting cuz of that damn word! some dude i was friends w/ asked me out , and i said no , so him and sum grl was like ur not a ni--ger so she wont date u ... and he said i rather die than be a ni--ger ... so i went after her , and punched him in the nose lol ...

ive never beeen called a racial slur , but i think the n word is much worse than honkey and cracker lol ... i laugh wen i hear those , theres sumthin hilarious about em
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 10:23 AM on Apr. 7, 2009